Recommend a "tour" of Montana...

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Recommend a "tour" of Montana...

Postby MTDUCKS » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:33 pm

So I've got 3-5 days or so off to take a quick tour of Montana. I've made a camping set-up in the bed of my truck so I've set for some camping.

I'm looking to maybe take a decent loop around the western 1/3 of the state or so, possibly bring my boat?

I was leaning towards a 3 day trip up to Flathead Lake, but I'm not sure if I could take 3 days of vertical jigging Lake Trout, I would have to have some other species mixed in.

Here are some things I wouldn't mind doing... Shed hunting/hiking, mineral collecting, fishing (stream/lake), general sight seeing.

I'd be looking to take off Tuesday afternoon or Wed morning. I'd prefer to head out Tuesday afternoon and drive somewhere to wake up Wed morning ready to go.

Thanks for any ideas guys!
MTDUCKS
hunter

Re: Recommend a "tour" of Montana...

Postby phutch30 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:26 am

Buy a MT gazetteer (atlas) an go for a ride. There are places to fish hike and whatever everywhere. The Gazetteer will show you points of interest
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:43 pm

I do have one of those, and that seems to be the thing I may have to do. The biggest problem I've found since moving out here is trying to decide where to go...
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:09 pm

you can jig lakers for a day or so, then go to East Bay outside Polson and fish perch as the fishing has been hot recently. Then you could try a few casts in Kicking Horse for some bass, they should be turning on soon, but it is probably a little early yet. Or, you could go try for crappie up in the sloughs by Kalispell? I'm not sure on the crappie spawn, but i'm guessing it'll be happening soon; they always say that crappie spawn when the lilacs bud and that is certainly happening about now.

Those are some ideas as far as fishing up here right now.

If you have specific questions, pm me. Hope you have fun. :thumbsup:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:05 pm

Maybe not as far west as you are thinking, but if you are coming through the Butte area and I am around, I can put you on some local creeks for "minerals"-gold panning. Cant quit youor day job but always find color. Also decent fishing, though the creeks and rivers are beginning to get big. Other mineral spot is crystal park though it is still snowed in I am guessing. Check the regs on georgtown (for when and where you can fish on the lake) as there can be some good fishing in the spring there (trout)
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Postby MTDUCKS » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:36 am

Thanks for the ideas, I ended up heading up NW and fishing Lindbergh Lake, only to find 2/3 of the lake still iced over. Camped there for a night then tried to get onto Salmon and Inez Lakes only to find the campgrounds closed. I camped a night on Seeley Lake and fished it a bit with no luck. The weather looked to be getting worse, rained all Thursday on me so I came back to Helena. That is some amazing country up there though!
MTDUCKS
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting