where in Mt?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

where in Mt?

Postby rj45 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:22 am

I'm planning on moving to Montana as soon as I sell my home in Jersey and find a job in Mt. I have been searching for a job in the western part of Mt. I understand it is quite flat out East around Glendive.

If you where in my situation where would you seek employment and a home and considering your a big game and waterfowl hunter?

How far East could you go and still be close to the mountains and not too flat?

Thanks for any and all info.

Roger
NRA, DU & DW member
rj45
hunter

Postby Fredito » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:08 pm

For a job, it kind of depends on what type of job you are looking for...On the westernish side, Billings is the biggest...I use to live there and there is alot of duck hunting ops if you are willing to drive an hour or so...the same with alot of the state...there is also alot of pressure on the hunting...You can live just about anywhere and have decent hunting within an hour in my opion...hope this helps
Fredito
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:59 pm

There are alot of jobs around Bozeman, Helena, Billings etc. Dependends on what you do for a living. Haveing moved out here from NH, expect a significant decrease in wages. $10 hour is pretty decent out here. The quality of life is great though. I think its a fair trade off.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Fredito » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:14 pm

good point...forgot to mention the cut in pay...hahhahah....for the most part housing is also cheaper then the rest of the country, but in the state, billings, bozeman, missoula, and kasispel are up there in the costs...but on the positive side, there is no sales tax, although I did hear a rumor that billings is attempting to pass a sales tax, a few citys have a sales tax in the state...ie west yellowstone and red lodge I believe, but those are also huge tourist sites...let us know what you do and good luck :salude:
Fredito
hunter

Postby rj45 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:02 pm

Thanks guys. I was figuring on a pay cut but like phutch said it will definitely be a fair trade in my opinion. I pay close to $8,000 a year on real estate taxes. It'll be nice to pay half of one months payment to cover the whole year with money left over to buy beer and ammo :thumbsup:

I have a second conference call with a promising position in Kalispell on Monday. This position is with CenturyTel. I have 19 years as a communication tech.

What do you guys know about Kalispell. The guy that called me about the job said it's in a valley with mountains all around. He goes bow hunting for Elk he said.

Roger
NRA, DU & DW member
rj45
hunter

Postby Fredito » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:03 pm

its a very pretty area up there.....it is really starting to boom with alot of building....its also pretty expensive in MT terms of living...but it is a great area...
Fredito
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:44 am

You would be right on top of Flathead lake and the Flathead National Forest. The woods are 100 times thicker than what you are used to back east. It will be primarily conifer forest and did I mention most of it is really thick. There is good elk hunting, great whitetail hunting, decent mule deer hunting with the chance for a monster and if you can get permission there is really good hunting for eastern strain wild turkeys in the valley, the only easterns in the state. The waterfowl hunting can be pretty good on the lake and I have hunted Nine Pipes Wildlife Refuge south of Ronan a couple of time with good luck. The lake troout fishing is awsome in flathead. I make a couple trips up every year and take advatage of the 25 lake trout per day limit.

As was said befor that area is starting to Boom. Housing is expensive but wages are a little higher. Its a very pretty area with lots of fruit orchards. Some of the best cherries in the country come from the flathead valley.

The climate is very mild for montana. In most years Flathead lake doesnt freeze. In fact some of the best laker fishing is in Feb.

It would not be my first choice for hunting but it wouldnt be my last either.

Let us know what you do.

Paul
phutch30
hunter

Postby rj45 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:47 pm

Hey guys! Just got accepted for the new job working in Kalispell and Whitefish starting in early September. I'm so excited to be leaving the LIBERAL state of New Jersey, been here since 1978, and arriving in a real American state such as Mt. Who on here is from north west Mt?
NRA, DU & DW member
rj45
hunter

Postby Fredito » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:56 pm

I know there is a group of us from southwest MT but I am not to sure about that area...I think the closest I have seen has been Missoula
Fredito
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:17 pm

There should be some guys on here from up that way, I'm sure. Hunting will certainly be better than what your used to! That area is growning something fierce though (thanks CA). I havent ever hunted the Flathead Valley up there. I have hunted around Ronan and Ninepipes Refuge (about 1 hr south of where you'll be). There are good flights of birds there, no doubt about it.

Good luck with the move and welcome. We don't mind folks like you coming, but don't bring your liberal sister (unless she's hot) :toofunny:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:38 pm

I have never hunted Montana but am there frequently (including the Flathead Valley) for business. The scenery can be drop dead breathtaking. You will be hunting Pacific Flyway birds and rules on that side of the Continental Divide...the most liberal flyway in terms of season length and bag limits. Coming from the Eastern Flyway you will think you died and went to heaven. From folks I know in the Flathead, waterfowling can be very good if you do your scouting and know where to go. Knowing some folks with private property can also pay bonuses.

I live in the Idaho Panhandle...moved here 7 years ago and wish I'd done it a decade earlier. You will probably feel the same way as your new life in Montana unfolds. Good luck.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting