My son in Bozeman wants to breed his male yellow lab

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Postby bill in san jose » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:17 pm

I'm Bill, and pretty active during duck season on the California Duck Hunting board on DHC. Yes, there are conservative duck hunters in the golden state (if you look around) and some pretty good hunting in the Pacific flyway. Enough of that.

My son moved to Bozeman in April, and is looking to breed his yellow lab Savage. AKC, incredible waterfowl dog, great pet, helps carry his tools from his truck as he rolls-out to a jobsite (I'm not kidding), good hunting bloodlines on both parent's sides. He has not had hips xrayed/ eyes certified. He's looking breed Sav and to get a pup from the litter.

If anybody is interested, reply to me by PM and I'll connect you with my son.
Attachments
208198_175015095884834_100001290356359_442966_4188295_n.jpg
207823_175015062551504_100001290356359_442965_3120746_n.jpg
34772_108005555917874_100001252900176_57535_3747736_n.jpg
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow a duck is watching you.
bill in san jose
hunter

Re: My son in Bozeman wants to breed his male yellow lab

Postby phutch30 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:43 pm

I understand peoples desire to breed their dogs. But it’s very irresponsible to breed without all the proper health clearances. Just because a particular dog doesn’t express an undesirable genetic trait doesn’t mean they are not a carrier for it. Our hunting breeds are rampant with problems from this, which is why reputable breeders wont touch a dog without these clearences. Considering the time and money spent on a dog over its life, the little extra effort to actually improve the breed is money well spent. Please ask your son to do his part
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby bill in san jose » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:55 am

Thanks, let's look at this as an investment. What does it cost in MT to obtain the health clearances? How does he recover the investment? Since the pups are now worth (and should sell for) more, the owner of the female reimburses as a stud fee in addition to his getting a pup?
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:09 pm

Let's not look at it as an investment and instead look at it because it is doing the right thing?

If one isn't willing to make the sacrifices to breed responsibly, then one shouldn't be breeding, imo. There are tons of great dogs out there, but that doesn't mean they should all be bred, especially if their owners haven't taken the steps to ensure that the dog(s) have a clean bill of health. I don't care one bit if your son breeds his dog, but I would say that it is irresponsible to do so if the dog isn't cleared. Can't imagine someone providing a bitch if the stud isn't cleared, but I guess it happens every day :fingerhead:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby jhanson1114 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm

It could be looked at as an investment, an investment in the health of the pup he is wanting to get out of the litter(which could save a lot of money later in life). Most breeders(responsible and professional) breed to improve the breed as a whole. I guess look at it this way, just because the bitch looks healthy and fit will he select her? Or would he rather find a female that he knows is cleared so the pup he is looking for is free of EIC, has good eyes, hips, and elbows? Or would he like to spend $1000s of dollars a year on a dog that he finds out is not in good health in a couple of years? I would expect this from both dog owners, to better the breed as a whole and limit the health conditions that currently exist.
jhanson1114
hunter

Postby jevc » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Like most species on this planet the female is in charge of who she breeds too. In this case it is the dogs owner that will make the decision. Any bitch that is worth breeding will have all her clearances. CNM, EIC, elbows, hips, eyes cerf. She will also expect this of the stud. A good bitch would also probably choose a dog that has some credentials like FC, AFC, MH, HRCH in front of his name and the names of his ancestors. Not saying that a dog that does not have titles does not hunt. Your sons dog obviously proves this. Just saying it would be an expensive proposition to get all those clearances and then have to compete with some proven studs to get the girl.
jevc
hunter

Postby bill in san jose » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:04 am

All good information. What's the cost to get the X-rays, etc. at a local vet? I assume vet prices vary, I found teeth cleaning for 1/2 the cost of our regular vet at a recommended vet for our dog here.

What is typical stud fee out that way if he goes this route?
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:59 am

Clearences will run 1000+ depending on the vet. Shop around. Stud fees vary based on titles and pedigree. Usually around 300-400 per breeding.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby bill in san jose » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks again.
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby Roth121 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:36 pm

is your son still interested in breeding his lab? i have a six year old female who has great bloodlines and is trained for waterfowl. Bella is on the smaller side with a great personality! Email me back at roth121@gmail.com
Bella and I.jpg
Bella and I hunting 2012
Bella and I.jpg (9.19 KiB) Viewed 972 times
Roth121
hunter

Postby bill in san jose » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:26 pm

Thanks. Sav bred with another Bella and had pups in May. Too many Montana Bellas!

He air shipped the female pick of the litter to CA and she's a charmer. Looking forward to Sage hunting her first duck season.

..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
bill in san jose
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting