Duck Weather

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Duck Weather

Postby pmahler » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Looks like there is going to be a nice little push or at least some local bird activity given the weather we'll be experiencing tomorrow thru Fri....Giddy Up! Can't wait to get my old boy & my newbie on some ducks to see if old age has calmed the veteran & if countless Summer training sessions has paid off for my youngster.

Just spent a week in the breaks elk hunting unsuccessfully (amazing time though) & often my mind drifted to decoying mallies & speedy teal.

Can't wait to get out...who's heading out this week or wknd?
pmahler
hunter

Re: Duck Weather

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:28 pm

Duck weather? Sounds like it will finally be elk weather. Heading back to the breaks Thursday afternoon myself.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby gunsnrods » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:40 pm

ill be out in the morning. Unfortunately the teal we had around left sun night in the full moon or juss sat tight mon morn cause the # of birds i seen sun morn to mon morn was drastically lower. However the rest of the birds are still around and im hopin for another limit tomo morn. :biggrin:
gunsnrods
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:13 pm

saw a flock of 30 or so snow geese yesterday afternoon.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:58 pm

I hunted this am. A nice number of birds moving. I can't say if we got a push or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if we had a few new birds in the area.

I'll probably head out tomorrow as well.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:01 pm

There was a push. Went out scouting and saw 18 swans and a bunch more ducks around...
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby klabrel » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:38 pm

I was out tonight. Still a lot of teal around, both greens and blues. Saw some bigger groups of wigeon too. Lot of birds flying the last hour of the night. Shot two fat mallard drakes that had thick layers of fat on um (first of the season that haven't been brown). My guess is they came down with this front we had move through. Pintails, mallards, and blue wings for my limit tonight. All the birds worked the decoys perfectly. Did see a smaller group (around 20) snows flying really high. Next few days should be good.
klabrel
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:33 am

I am shooting for a trifecta on Saturday. Antelope in the AM, Pheasants in the afternoon, and Waterfowl in the evening. That just sounds right!
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby gunsnrods » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:23 pm

i was out wed morn. 2 pintails, 1 gaddy and 3 blue wings. seen alot of birds but i dont think there isnt any new birds in the area just yet.
gunsnrods
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting