Canoe on the MO.?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Canoe on the MO.?

Postby huntfishnv » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Is that even possible, or should I just use a drift boat? I have stabilizer pontoons and would use it to get to a spot then retrieve ducks. I would not shoot out of it.
Also, when should freeze-up happen this year? Its looking to me like it is going to be around late October or early November.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Re: Canoe on the MO.?

Postby Leakydecoy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:31 am

If you're a competent paddler and set up smart, a canoe can be just fine and sometimes the best option for short trips on shallow parts of the Mo where motorized and even jet boaters fear to go or where you just need to get across the main channel. However, chasing a dead or wounded duck downstream in a canoe and then getting back to your blind can be a major workout, again, depending upon the stretch of river and current. Two suggestions are to keep your load light and attach a rope and handle to the bow since you'll likely be doing some upstream walking in the shallows.
Leakydecoy
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:42 am

We use a canoe on the Ulm-Pelican Ponint stretch of the river when the weather is nice and have a lot of experience in a canoe. Lines on either end of the boat is smart, and a center seat helps if you are paddeling by yourself. I very seldom use the canoe with out some sort of downstream transportation in case things get rough and it can happen in a second on the MO. As far a ice up, it will happen when it does. I have seen the river open all year long and frozen solid by this time of the year. Oh yeah, extra paddles with at least one tied in to the boat. Safe and Successful Hunting.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:16 pm

There would be two people paddling so maybe we could make it back up. Tow rope is a good idea and so is the extra paddle...going to have to do some scouting for a shallow spot. Force are you saying that the MO gets ice over the entire river?
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:41 am

I might do it early season, but when it starts getting cold in mid/late Nov then no way. If you go in and get wet then your in trouble, I dont care how fast two guys can paddle. Getting back to your truck will be a race against hypothermia
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:30 am

Hunt, I have seen the Missouri frozen from bank to bank downstream from Hardy Creek to below Gt. Falls, with just little pockets from springs open and way too dangerous for boats or dogs. Two or three years ago there was no where to launch a boat from Cascade to Loma. The old girl can get pretty narley. Be Safe.
Force Fetch
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting