Where are the Ducks?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Where are the Ducks?

Postby brad2242 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:11 pm

I am new to the fairview/sidney mt area. I was excited about a great job but more excited about the hunting. Here it is the 15th of Oct. and I haven't seen a duck in Mt. I have checked the Medicine lake refuge two weeks in a row and there is not much. Is it still early out here or am I in a no duck zone. Looking forward to hunting Fort Peck area but have not been up there to look around. I was told by a local up there this summer that the duck and goose hunting gets good in Dec. around there. Am I stressing over nothing and the birds haven't :bow: :bow: started to migrate yet? The only birds that I saw were a couple of miles across the boarder in N.D. I hope to get some field hunts in but it is really starting to look bleak. If anyone can talk me of the ledge I would really appreciate it.
brad2242
hunter

Re: Where are the Ducks?

Postby lundin-loading » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:16 am

Its 17 days into a 3 month season...chill!
lundin-loading
hunter

Postby montana bound » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:52 am

Needs to get cold, this short sleeve weather is not good for the duck hunting.
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:37 pm

Go deer hunting for now
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby brad2242 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Thank you, thank you. I grew up on the Mississippi River s/w Wisconsin s/e Minnesota and We would be well into the migration right now. Living so much further north now and it hasn"t seemed to start yet left me confused and concerned. People in this part of the country seem like they don't stress like us from the midwest which is a great thing. I hope some of that rubs off on me. I have a trailer full of decoys and just anxious to use them. Again thank you for your time.
brad2242
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:42 am

there will be little doubt when the migration starts in your area. Every pot hole, puddle etc will have birds on it.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby RNT~DuckCaller » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:01 pm

I dont want to bore you with pics but here are a few of this season. I am in Miles City and this goes to show there are plenty of birds ( even in the early season ). I have noticed that they have moved to the river in the past week so keep your eyes open for nice backwater.
Attachments
slaughter.jpg
slaughter 3.jpg
slaugher 2.jpg
river hunt.jpg
banded.jpg
banded.jpg (36.68 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
RNT~DuckCaller
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:05 pm

One thing I like about Montana is, whenever I visit summer or winter, there are always alot of ducks. Take a look South of Bozeman. Some good areas to check out..
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby pmahler » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Lots of brown in there fella...
pmahler
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:11 pm

RNT~DuckCaller wrote:I dont want to bore you with pics but here are a few of this season. I am in Miles City and this goes to show there are plenty of birds ( even in the early season ). I have noticed that they have moved to the river in the past week so keep your eyes open for nice backwater.

You sir are a spooooonie killa :hammer: :lol3:

No disrespect, just busting your chops. I've been known to kill a spoonie now and then myself, but usually only out of frustration :fingerhead:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby RNT~DuckCaller » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:59 pm

The only spoonies I have killed this year were all in the log jam photo. First light dropped five out of six...... Sadly, they were all spoonies. Aside from that picture I have not killed a single spoonie. All of the brown are the early season colors on the birds most of which were teal.
RNT~DuckCaller
hunter

Postby RNT~DuckCaller » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:00 pm

On a second glimpse, there is also one spoonie in the first pic ( I swear it was not me haha :yes: )
RNT~DuckCaller
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:04 pm

You missed the one in the second pic, 3rd in from the left on the top row. :yes:
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:07 pm

You sound like the guy at the party who made out with the fat girl: "Oh come, she's not thaaaat fat, besides, I usually score with cheerleaders":lol:

:beer:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 am

Well lets be honest. we've all been in the "Hmmm, she aint THAT fat" situation. As we get older its just easier to pass on fat chicks.......ususally.
phutch30
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:43 pm

I shot a spoonie today, but it wasn't that much of a spoonie, I think it has some mallard, pintail and pheasant in it :hammer: :lol3:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby gunsnrods » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:18 pm

whats wrong with killin some spoonbills? Tomo mornings hunt looks like alot of my birds are gonna be spooners.
gunsnrods
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Ain't nothing wrong with killin' spoonies, I"m just giving RNT some crap. I've shot a half dozen or so this year, usually on slow mornings where I need to fill out a limit and get to work. :beer:
wingnutty
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting