Big Lake???????

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Big Lake???????

Postby sloth » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Has anyone seen the water level out there? havent had a chance to make it out there yet. thank you for any info on this place! im trying to make it out there this weekend just need to know if there is enough water.
DU Member
YAT-YAS
USMC '04-'12
sloth
hunter

Re: Big Lake???????

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:59 pm

Depends. Enough water to hold birds? Yes. Enough water to hunt? pretty tough.
Was out there last weekend, plenty of birds. Lake is about half what it was last year. Two to three hundred yards of mud between any vegetation and edge of the water. Water level is only a couple of feet deep several hundred yards out where we hunted. Packed layout blinds and gear about a mile from parking area. Piled some weeds and sagebrush around us. Couldn't use the decoys we packed out due to the mud being mid thigh deep several feet from waters edge, dont know how we would have gotten them back had we tossed them out. Rewarded for all the hard work by laying there for three hours and watching ducks trade back and forth around the lake while never coming close to any of the banks. Closest birds to us were a hundred yards plus. Despite huge bird numbers, I won't be going back out there this season.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby sloth » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:16 pm

thanks for the info i was going to drive out there tomorrow (fall break from RMC) just to see what it looks like. i think ill go scout and knock in some of the fields around here east of here
DU Member
YAT-YAS
USMC '04-'12
sloth
hunter

Postby ericbentson » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:00 am

I did go out on 10-17-12 and the water is low. Alot of waterfoul but will be hard to find cover
ericbentson
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting