Hutch I want big game photos!

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Hutch I want big game photos!

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:53 am

You kill a big bull yet?
Bulldog0156
hunter

Re: Hutch I want big game photos!

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:58 am

Told me a little while ago he was thinking of shooting a cow. Would be good use of a 410 rifle either sex tag.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:28 am

Not exactly what I said. LOL I said Id shoot a cow before shooting a small bull. I looked over about 70 bulls up there last week. Saw a couple I shoulda gone after and went after 1 that gave me the slip. Heading back Tue night for another week.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:23 pm

phutch30 wrote:Not exactly what I said. LOL I said Id shoot a cow before shooting a small bull. I looked over about 70 bulls up there last week. Saw a couple I shoulda gone after and went after 1 that gave me the slip. Heading back Tue night for another week.

Are you sure you didn't maybe count a couple of em twice? :wink:

Good luck to ya, hope #71 is the one
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:59 pm

I probably counted a few of them twice as we glassed a couple of the same areas on differnt days. But the bull to cow ratio up there is 45:100, so you see a ton of bulls in relation to the number of elk.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:30 pm

phutch30 wrote:I probably counted a few of them twice as we glassed a couple of the same areas on differnt days. But the bull to cow ratio up there is 45:100, so you see a ton of bulls in relation to the number of elk.

Wow
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby Wallinuts » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:39 pm

HUtch it was great to meet you last week in the breaks I hope you find the bull you are looking for. We found plenty of elk this weekend back home we just couldn't quite get our daughter in the right spot. My dog and my shotgun both hope she can punch her tag soon. Hopefully for you things will quite down and the big boys will come back out of hiding. The wife's bull ended up grossing 351 and netted 343 she couldn't be happier and to boot I think it is possibly the best eating elk I have ever tasted. I can't wait to see some pics of the big boy you shoot. Have fun and good luck.
Wallinuts
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:18 am

it was good meeting you too. Soon as we get our big game seasons straight we'll have to hook up for some ducks.

Post up a pic or two of your wifes bull. He was sure nice.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Leakydecoy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:44 am

Paul, your numbers seem to contradict those of renowned wildlife biologist and Breaks management naysayer dr.bob over on Bowsite. :biggrin:
Leakydecoy
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:54 am

HAHAHA, no kidding but I can tell you this after 17 years in federal service. You cant argue with stupid!

Have you ever read anything positive that guy has ever wrote??? LOL
phutch30
hunter

Postby Leakydecoy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:02 am

If Walter Matthau were still alive he could have played Bob in the movie.
Leakydecoy
hunter

Postby Wallinuts » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:10 am

Here are a few pics of the wifes bull.

Wallinuts
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Thats a nice Bull tell her congrats :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:41 pm

Yea it is! looks bigger on the ground then it did standing there looking at us. Glad I dint Utah it off the county road. LOL tell her congrats again. Im jealous!!!!! :bow:
phutch30
hunter

Postby Wallinuts » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks guys I think she is pretty happy with it. Our daughter who is in her first year of hunting just keeps telling mom that will not be the biggest bull of the year in our house, and that she is going to find and shoot a bigger one. I think I almost have her convinced again to please take the first legal elk meaning a cow if she gets the chance and then next year we can work on a set of horns for her. She absolutely loves duck hunting so I think I can convince her to get it done and we can chase big flocks of green. Hutch I do have pics of him standing off the county road and it doesn't look like the same bull. If it wasn't for the big thirds and the little split on the 7th point I wouldn't believe it was him. I'm not sure if the size of the bodies on the elk in the breaks is what makes the horns look smaller than what they are or what, but they are really hard to judge on the hoof. Again good luck and I can't wait to see pics of another great bull.
Wallinuts
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:18 am

I may not be posting any big game pics. Im apparently a terrible trophy hunter. :no: Looked over another 30-35 bulls last week. But I was trying to put my sights on a black antlered bull I was chasin opening week. 3 days in a row I was within 1/4 mile of it without seeing it this last trip. How do I know this? cause when we were glassin my 2 buddys could see him and I could see them, just couldnt move due to all the other elk. One was within 300 yards of him and a big 6x7 for 15 min. Said hes at least a mid 340's 7x7 bull, but more likly pushing mid 350s. Walked up on a group of 2 6x6 in the 320-325 range and 1 7x7 in the 330-335 range. Got to watch them at 75 yards for a few min.

Saw a doz cows on Sat on out way home right where Wallinut's wife got hers. No bulls to be seen there but I did have a "pleasant chat" with the landowner there. LOL
phutch30
hunter

Postby Wallinuts » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:52 pm

Hutch sounds like a fun second trip back up to the breaks, but a litle frustrating when you are that close to a good bull and can't get er done. When are you headed back? It sounds like maybe you had the same kind of conversation with the landowner that I had. He is one classy guy. I thought my duck hunting was going to be under way this week, but my daughter ended up missing. It was a really nice bull, and would have been unreal for her first elk. Hopefully with this weather she can get it done this weekend cuz I have a feeling the birds are gonna show up in groves. Good luck in your next trip.
Wallinuts
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:19 pm

Im leavinn in the wee hours of the morn to crawl up there. Should be good hunting, moons perfect for lots of movement, and the cold should make them stay up feeding. At least they should be easy to see on the snow.

First upper 340's bull I see is in trouble.....if I can get within range and still think hes big enough :yes:

If you liked talking with the landowner you REALLY missed out not getting to speak to the outfitter. :no:
phutch30
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Good luck! I'm gonna chase whitetails tomorrow hopefully.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby Henry Every » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:21 am

Wallinuts, That is a nice elk.
"Tigers love pepper. They hate cinnamon."
Henry Every
Newb

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:46 am

Good Luck this morning Hutch :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:57 am

If there was a chance for Murphy to screw me this last week he took full advantage. On Mon morn I had a bull that was well over 350 (as welll as another 350+ and 2 in the 340s in my scope at 286 yards that didnt come home. I had an army helicopter blow 18 bulls including the same 2 350 bulls 340 bulls from 2 days prior to the 4 winds. I had a cow hunter drive in to retrieve his elk at 130pm and blow out 11 bulls including a pig of a 320+ 5x5 that I wanted, as I was sneaking in on them. Factor in the temperature swings from 20-40 degrees, melting snow and super crunchy snow folled by degrading roads culmulating with me getting my truck buried in mud on Sun morn all equals a frustrating 8 days. I lost 7lbs in 8 days. To say my feet covered some ground would be an understatment.

Saw over 100 bulls though. But, Im soooo sick of elk hunting!!!!!!!
phutch30
hunter

Postby Wallinuts » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Sorry to hear that Phutch thats got to be frustrating as hell. Are you going back up to give er one last try? We have been chasing elk down here with my 12 year old daughter like crazy and have had many ups and downs, but she managed to kill a cow this weekend. Being with my daughter and watching her take her first elk was one of the best moments of my life. I cannot tell you guys how exciting it has been having her hunting with me this year. Here is a pic of her first elk, and Phutch I know you are sick of chasing bulls, but I wish you all the luck in the world if you get back up into the breaks to kill a great bull. Good luck.

Wallinuts
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:39 pm

phutch30 wrote:If there was a chance for Murphy to screw me this last week he took full advantage. On Mon morn I had a bull that was well over 350 (as welll as another 350+ and 2 in the 340s in my scope at 286 yards that didnt come home. I had an army helicopter blow 18 bulls including the same 2 350 bulls 340 bulls from 2 days prior to the 4 winds. I had a cow hunter drive in to retrieve his elk at 130pm and blow out 11 bulls including a pig of a 320+ 5x5 that I wanted, as I was sneaking in on them. Factor in the temperature swings from 20-40 degrees, melting snow and super crunchy snow folled by degrading roads culmulating with me getting my truck buried in mud on Sun morn all equals a frustrating 8 days. I lost 7lbs in 8 days. To say my feet covered some ground would be an understatment.

Saw over 100 bulls though. But, Im soooo sick of elk hunting!!!!!!!

No excuses, play like a champion!
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Wallinuts- Thats really awsome!!! Ill be shooting one of those or a spike on Sat afternoon/Sun.

Im heading back up tomorrow after work. I hope the roads have dried up a bit or it will be a wasted trip. Looks the the weathers gunna suck, supposed to be warm and possibly rain, but what the heck Im already 22 days into it and a ton of $$ one more trip wont make much difference.
phutch30
hunter

Next

Return to Montana Duck Hunting