Antelope / Bears / Fish / & such

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Antelope / Bears / Fish / & such

Postby Hart » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:14 pm

It's been a busy, hot summer. Huntin season is just a week away. Went with an archery Antelope tag this year. I just picked up a Double Bull Matrix blind a few weeks back and I have a nice buck on a little water hole scouted out. Shot lots of carp with my bow this summer. We started taking that sport into the night with lights. Man what a kick in the pants. I've just about worn my fly rod out over the last few weeks. If you have a chance to get up to the South Fork of Sun River do it. That kind of fishing should be illegal. Working my dog a lot lately. I think he knows the season is just around the corner. He is five this year and in his prime. I bought a new MoMarsh layout boat this week. I'm hoping it's here by the end of the month. I checked them out a few weeks ago when I was in Seattle. For where I hunt this type of boat will most certainly be the hot ticket. I'll post some pictures when it gets here and I get it set up. The best news of the summer came from my oldest son. He drew a Kodiak bear tag in AK this year. I will be headed up to hunt with him in October. He is a commercial fisherman in AK and his boss is going to haul us out to some of the better areas on 80' seiner. Should be fun. My son also drew an Afognak Elk tag (he's on a roll this year). I won't be able to make that hunt. I have saved all of my vacation for hunting this year so less the week in Ak and week for Archery Elk I have two and a half weeks to do nothing but shoot ducks. I look forward to hearing from all of you this season. God Bless, Mark :salude:
Hart
hunter

Postby Leakydecoy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:46 pm

Hey Mark, I sold my AquaPod and picked up a MoMarsh DP last year and have been trying to decide on a motor this summer. Is that the model you got? I've made some mods to the blind and added a bonnet for my head and the dog. Pretty sweet.

I too have returned to archery in a big way and look forward to antelope hunts in MT and WY, plus a ewe bighorn tag to fill up on the Front. Not much over 3 weeks 'til dove time!

Hope all is well,
Dave
Leakydecoy
hunter

Postby Hart » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:17 pm

Good to hear from you Dave. Hope all is well in your world. We'll need to get together one of these days and compare notes on the Momarsh. Did you get the door system and if so the full door or partial door set up. My concern is for the mut. I've been hunting with him on my lap in a final approach for the past 5 years. Not the driest, most comfortable position. It's time for him to move to the back of the boat. LOL. I'm going to use a little 5 hp 4 stroke Yamaha to start. Not ideal but I think it will work for me. Take care and lets get together for that beer we talked about a few years back, Mark

PS- Where did you buy your boat ?
Hart
hunter

Postby Leakydecoy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:22 pm

I bought mine directly from Ira in MO and had them ship it to me when I was working in Colorado last fall. Unfortunately, by the time I received it everything had pretty well frozen up so this year will actually be its rookie season.

You could run over to Pacific Steel for tubing and order some Bimini fittings, and end up paying a lot less to make it yourself, but I went ahead and ordered the doors. I got the short door system since Ty always sat behind me in the Pod. Got my boat and doors in open water gray but they hooked me up with a guy who had a used deck cover in Max-4 so I bought that along with some door sleeves in Max-4 as well. So I'm pretty well covered whether hunting open water or the banks.

I've been going back and forth on motor size. I want/need enough horses to get me upriver but am reluctant to put anything too heavy on it and defeat the purpose of having a relatively light boat to pull over the shallow stretches. Considered a small MudBuddy but the noise would drive me (and everyone else in the canyon) nuts. I think I'll probably pull the trigger on a 3.5 horse in the near future.

Like Hart, Ty turns 5 this year, next week in fact. Finally lost my old chocolate at age 14 back in early May right after spending a week of quality time in turkey camp.

I'm working in Laramie at the moment and will be back home off and on until Thanksgiving before taking off December and early January for some serious waterfowl and bird hunting including the annual trek to the Washington coast. Depending upon how the sheep and antelope hunts go in mid October, I may be able to squeeze in a duck outing while I'm back then. 'Til then, you'll have to hold down the fort at the BR Brewery! :salude:
Leakydecoy
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting