New to Bozeman --- Need a place to Hunt

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

New to Bozeman --- Need a place to Hunt

Postby kwack wacker » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:43 pm

Hey I just moved to Bozeman I was wondering where the good spots are or who should i talk to.
kwack wacker
Newb

Postby DownThePipe » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:53 am

I don't want to be mean but you are probably going to have to go about it like everyone else...scout....scout...and scout some more....and honestly seeing you are from cali you will probably find even more resistance to giving advice...considering most people around Bozeman..well the Rocky MOuntains in general are tired of losing land/spots to out of staters...(Californians) anyways...I go to school in Bozeman....I spent all September last year scouting...and it payed off....good luck and have a great season.

PS...I know you are probably PO'ed but I can honestly say I don't mean to call you out- just giving you the response you will get from most people in a less harsh manner. In your other thread you said "I would enjoy hearing about the good hunting spots in Bozeman and where to exactly go." Get a good map of the area, drive around, explore, and come October you will be having some fun :smile:
DownThePipe
hunter

Postby Fredito » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:21 pm

A quick and easy way to do it is to go the FWP and ask for the block mang book...look up all of the places that list waterfowl....get the color maps of them...scout them and then get your permission slips to hunt on them....you should be set for awhile then
Fredito
hunter

Try Canyon Ferry

Postby marcbme » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:21 am

Canyon Ferry is always a safe bet for that entire area. I've always hunted the ponds.
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:28 am

I always hunt canyon ferry early then hit the gallatin river. The law in montan says you can hunt waterfowl below the hi water mark. Just make sure the ducks fall in this zone. So any fishing access site will get you on the river.
phutch30
hunter

clark canyon

Postby sprig31 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:17 am

[quote="phutch30"]I always hunt canyon ferry early then hit the gallatin river. The law in montan says you can hunt waterfowl below the hi water mark. Just make sure the ducks fall in this zone. So any fishing access site will get you on the river.[/quote] : javascript:emoticon(':thumbsdown:') your huntin on clark canyon looks great! why dont you ever mention how new people to the area can get there?
sprig31
Newb

why

Postby fun4jake » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:36 am

sprig31,
You make this your first post :thumbsdown: Good way to start off a good rep on the board.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby marcbme » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:27 pm

Doesn't even make sence.
marcbme
hunter

Postby sprig31 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:08 am

downthepipe is about the only one in here who knows what he is talking about. i guess we are the only people who understand that nothing comes easy.it's sad nobody wants to put in any work in duck hunting anymore these days. Furthermore, PEOPLE expect you to tell them your "spots". YOU PEOPLE should know better. as far as my relply to the gentleman from dillon: i was only curious why you never tell anyone "new to the area"to go hunt clark canyon res. or the beaverhead or red rocks or the jefferson? you know , all the places that hold large #'s of birds and are relatively close to bozeman! It might be that some of those places are sacred to YOU! maybe i am wrong but i doubt you want to see anymore people in your backyard.javascript:emoticon(':getdown:')
sprig31
Newb

Postby phutch30 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:54 am

Sprig31, at least I list where I live. If your so concerned with telling people where to hunt spill your guts on your spots. I think I am pretty forthcoming about where I hunt. I am not going to give anyGPS coordinates but at least I try to give areas. So put up or shut up.
One other thing, if you want to hunt down there knock your self out. I hunt waterfowl all over the state not just near Dillon. I also hunt some private fields in the area. Come on down and try and get some permission. LOL . I promise, if you or 10 people off this site hunt my so called "Sacred" spots it wont affect me at all. I was under the impression that Kwack Wacker wanted areas close to Bozeman. Where I live is 2 hours away and for your info Clark Canyon isnt the easiest place to hunt. Sure, I hunt some of the spots you listed why wouldnt I ,I am 20 min from all of them. I also hunt freezout, the flathead, eastern MT Bowdin, Ennis lake and a doz other places. I lived in Bozeman for 5 years, so I feel I have a very good understanding of areas within an hours drive from Bozeman. So sorry about the mis-communication. What my orginal post should have started out as was this- "When" I hunt canyon ferry, I always hunt it early in the season and then I would hit the Gallatin river late season.

Canyon Ferry- 1 hour away
Go way out on the mud flats and use a layout out something low profile.
Mallards,widgeon and gads plus good for redheads.

Gallatin River- 15 min
Mallards,divers

Kwack Wacker-also look into Ennis lake and Harrison lake. It will require some scouting, but Ennis lake can be as good as any body of water in the state for mallards,widgeon and Gads when the flights move thru. Its about 45 min from Bozeman.
phutch30
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:31 pm

I typically do not spill my guts on hunting spots because for every guy that signs up on here, plays the game, gives as much info as he takes and becomes a member of the community created by these boards there are 10 other guys "lurking" and simply mining info. So instead of telling the five guys on this thread, you probably gave tens of guys the heads-up to look at where you hunt. I'm sorry, but guys have to "earn it".

That said, almost every one of the 10 or so different guys I hunt with I have met on this or another bulletin board. I have helped more than one newbie begin his search and scouting, but only after I get to know him more than an anonymous post on an internet bulletin board.

I moved to the Idaho Panhandle with no dog, boat or friends in the area and I spent my first two seasons exploring every hike-in spot I could find. I will cherish the memories of hunting by myself during those first days in a new land but I am glad they are over and that I have buds to hunt with. The challenge is now deciding where we are going to hunt...the list of avaiable places is almost too big...but it took a lot of work and a lot of scouting to get to this point.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby DownThePipe » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:06 am

I have to admit phutch- even just listing names of possible places to hunt makes me cringe- knowing that when you say "my" place- it my be 1 new person in "my" spot that I have to compete with and possibly 10 others that look at this site. Competetion is part of duck hunting- getting in the blind at 4 and beating everyone to the spot comes with the territory of being a public land hunter- but I just hope you know that every lake or river you name- there are only a certain number of spots a person can hunt- and people do look at these posts and make some decisions.

Anyways- I know you see things a little different than I and some others- but I can't ever see a time when naming rivers and lakes where people should hunt is a plus in my opinion. Scouting and finding spots is just as important as having the right spread, equipment etc., but if there is someone in your spot- there is nowhere to put your spread or use that equipment. ANyways- season starts in 2 weeks..anybody ready?
DownThePipe
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:59 am

Are you guys for real? The competition I have experienced here is nill compared to my previous experiences. Montana has the benifit of having different types of big game to hunt, taking pressure off of waterfowl. Add to that the thousands of mile of river you can hunt and public land and it boggles my mind! Back in my stompin' grounds the rivers are private and there is no federal land except for a few acres here and there that is usually shared by a dozen guys at times. I have shared a 2 acre pond with 8 different hunting parties before.

I'm just like you guys though, I'm not gonna go around spouting off my spots - you have to hunt with me to find out, and I am always looking for a hunting buddy so that's simple. Just don't tell me you are worried about too much pressure at 'the spot' there's plenty of room in Montana to give that excuse. :tounge:
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:38 am

Duck Runner:

The Idaho Panhandle is much the same way as you describe. That is, if you are hunting in a crowded spot (and there are some) you have chosen to take the easy way out and ignore many other spots where you will encounter few or no other groups.

Nonetheless, I am not going to give away info earned from hours / days of scouting on a public board.

Where were you located? Sounds like California. I've been there and done that, too.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:11 am

I grew up on the east coast. You want to talk about hunting pressure. Ive seen fist fights on the boat ramps. MT does not have any hunting pressure to speak of. It has a couple of areas that get hit hard opening weekend, but after that no pressure. I dont have any qualms about Naming a place such as Canyon Ferry. That place is pretty big. The ponds are a zoo but if you go do some scouting you can find all the elbow room you want. If you dont scout you end up on the ponds with everyone else. Also Canyon Ferry is only a zoo opening weekend. After that you pretty much have it to your self. In truth when I name an area such as red rocks, I am talking about the whole valley. Not just the refuge. You could hide 300 people in the Centennial vally and never see another hunter.People just tend to hunt the refuge because its easy. I avoid the areas that are well used. Also most of the duck hunters call it quits pretty fast. There are very few die hards around. I hunted waterfowl about 50 days last season.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:08 am

I was hunting in Nebraska - waterfowl heaven as far as I am concerned - but don't tell anyone that because they might know that spot then! :toofunny: The Platte River had a few spots that were infamous for massive crowds on the weekends and I occasionally joined in the chaos as well. The rainwater basins in the southern part of the state were always popular.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby Fredito » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:43 pm

Guys-
No more bashing...ok?
Thanks
Fredito
hunter

Postby marcbme » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:18 pm

The main reason I got into duck hunting was the low pressure on the game. I have little experience with other states, but I'm willing to bet there are fewer water fowlers here then most other places.

That being said, the honey holes are a dudes "personal property" so to speak. But for a new area hunter, Canyon Ferry and such are always safe bets. The more the merrier, I say. After opening weekend there a few hunters around anyways.
marcbme
hunter

Postby Fredito » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:22 pm

There also seems to be a really big drop in the hotspots once big game opens....then your lucky to see 1 or 2 other people compared to around 10
Fredito
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting