Wife Hunting for Birthday

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Wife Hunting for Birthday

Postby pmahler » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:53 pm

Well I asked my wife who is quite a girlie-girl (simply not a hunter) to head on out this weekend for a duck & pheasant hunting extravaganza...unfortunately I asked a month ago & didnt know Brutus the storm from hell was on its way. We packed & headed up to G Falls Friday eve later than we had hoped for (i.e., no scouting & driving into the belly of the beast under darkness). Was also lugging my new 6x10 as opposed to my 5x8 so why not make it that much more interesting. Oddly enough we didnt start hitting black ice until roughly 25 minutes outside of Simms but made it into The Falls relatively easily. Temps were dropping aggressively & I was just dreading getting up at my usual time as my wifes two least favortie things is being cold & getting up early...awesome! Anyway, we headed out & would have been set up around 715AM but I managed to head down the road to gravel road to my friends house & honey hole warm slough to some serious snow accumulation. No sooner did my wife say "we're gonna get stuck" than the wheels on my tahoe started spinnin'. Out comes the shovel & some sweat & 45 minutes later I was backing the trailer up 100+ yards on a skinny gravel road with snow grooves (Phutch & Ray feel free to insert jokes here) & we were off to find plan B. Snow was falling, wasnt seeing anything flying or hitting the fields so why not chase some pheasants. My wife hasn't ever shot a gun before in a hunting situation so she was a bit nervous but we did see about 100 birds milling about in the wheat where we were headed. We started walking & the ditch erupted, literally I think 200 pheasants & some deer started heading for safety. I did my best to coach but she wasnt too confident, didnt fire but loved watching the dogs work. Needless to say we walked away to hit up another spot, 1 rooster I plunked in the bag & tried for some more. I sincerely wish I was running pointers at this juncture as opposed to labs but oh well. We kept after it & she fired a few shots but the birds got more skittish...ok, lets get on the ducks. Hit up a different warm water slough that was muuuuuuuuuuuch easier to access after checking in with a few farmers & off to chase the green we go. Kicked off roughly 300 ducks & some geese who proceeded to immediately hit the river so we played the waiting game. It didnt take long before they started coming & come they did. She was able to fire the 28 gauge at more than a few before hitting her first duck which was a hen sadly (her words not mine). We walked away with 8 drakes & 1 hen & had a blast. I dont think she will be joining me again but she did have a lot of fun. We ended up getting up late this AM as it was below zero & i didnt want her to hate the day entirely but bagged 3 pheasants.

Take a newbie out hunting as you never know. Best birthdayI have ever had. Thanks to my wife Molly.
pmahler
hunter

Re: Wife Hunting for Birthday

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:22 pm

After you called bragging about your new trailer, I was wondering how long it would take you to get stuck. A loaded 6x10 is quite a load for your little suv. Going to take some time to get used to it, but good that you had a shovel. Watch it on the ice too as it will want to push the back end of your little suv. Soon youll be ready to borrow my 40'gooseneck trailer. Congrats on the birthday hunt with the old lady.

How many times did you have to pull forward to straighten up when you were backing the trailer out?
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby pmahler » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:55 pm

8-10x minimum
pmahler
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:41 am

Sounds like most of my hunting adventures, things never go how I pictured them to :beer:
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:30 am

Hey :umm: :happybday:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:29 am

Wait....when did you get hitched?? It's been awhile. :biggrin:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Guys cut him some slack! yes he got stuck but give him credit he actually got out without calling a towtruck. They need to be thankful he didnt get a flat tire, cause then they would have died before getting that taken care of. :bow:
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting