Anyone up for a boat ride?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Anyone up for a boat ride?

Postby TopWop » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:11 am

I'm bored off my ***. Anyone interested in going to
Ennis lake,if it's open? I really haven't been able to
take my boat out yet and the conditions are pretty
mild.
Since I/we got booted from our hunting spot of decades
I'm branching out. Anyway, PM me if you ain't skerred.
Rocki said if I don't get her some work soon she's
leaving. I'm off to sportsman's Whorehouse to by a
push pole.
TopWop
hunter

Re: Anyone up for a boat ride?

Postby Wallinuts » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:21 am

Sounds like fun hope you find some birds. We are heading to billings tonight to hopefully slay some geese. Sounds like the ducks are a little thin down there with the weather, but a begillion geese around so hopefully we can get on some good shoots. Have a good weekend everyone and pray for some fowl weather.
Wallinuts
hunter

Postby darcher » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Regarding a push pole, I just met a hunter who showed me a 40-year old push pole made of Douglas Fir. Too simple! It is 10.5 feet long. At the handle end it is 2 inches. At the blade end it is 4 inches. It was plained to be 1 inch thick with rounded edges. I loved it because, unlike the collapsing duck model, the blade is just that--a blade. Use it as a push or pick it up and use it as a blade to re-align the boat's progress. Mine is almost ready. I have used Thompson Water seal, a stain and now all I need to add is a slather of boiled linseed oil.
darcher
hunter

Postby TopWop » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:45 pm

TopWop
hunter

Postby Fowl Intentions » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:00 pm

Be careful with those Avery push poles. I was pushing along my little Momarsh boat and the pole snapped as I was using it to "push" my small boat along. It's a push pole! The two things it should do are push and it also should be a pole. Doesn't seem that hard. The interesting thing about it was that when it snapped it left a nice sharp jagged edged that I could have landed on, it really made me rethink this aluminum push pole. Also it left me without anything to propel myself with.

cheers
erich
Fowl Intentions
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting