Forum Content

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Forum Content

Postby darcher » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:04 pm

May last post generated ridicule and unsolicited advice, which has made me wonder just what people want out of this Montana Forum. I recognize that I brought this scorn upon myself. Big deal. My posts were never submitted to the jockeying personalities who dominate the forum. Rather I wrote and shared my frustrations and physical limitations thinking there might be someone else out there who can relate to closing in on 70, as well as dealing with multiplying medical problems. No one likes to read someone whining. Yeah, I get that. And for the record, I never said I hadn’t shot any ducks this season. Although I regret reacting to the responses that I generated, I suppose it is also a reaction to when I read reactionary posts this season in which someone, in effect, is called a liar. It is bad enough being ridiculed, but to call in question another man veracity seems to be inexcusable in my mind.

In the last two years I have written about boat building and sculling because I always enjoy reading about someone else’s interests and explanations and expertise. I hoped that my posts would be of some interest, and it seems strange to me why someone would keep reading my posts and commenting negatively, if what I say irritates them. (I did love the puppet theater out on the river, however. Someone’s got talent.) I applaud the hunters on this forum who consistently kill a lot of ducks. I enjoy reading their accounts and looking at their photographs, but in my mind the forum should be open to more than a show and tell. Perhaps I am wrong in this assumption. I asked questions about layout boat hunting, when and where to use spinner decoys. I would love someone to share their experiences with hunting divers in open water, not because I would want to try it, but because I am curious. It is the educator in me, and after all duck hunting is steeped in so many traditions. About right now I can hear someone grumbling, “If you don’t like the forum the way it is, get the hell off!” Yes, of course, I can do that. I am considering it because I do seem out of touch with the membership, and I have probably added too many posts. I spent 16 years as a fly fishing guide here in Montana. I consider myself an accomplished fly fisherman, and yet I am always eager to learn something new. So here is my question to forum members, aside from the successful hunt reports, what other type of posts do you most enjoy reading?

Dave Archer
darcher
hunter

Re: Forum Content

Postby phutch30 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:39 pm

For what its worth,

I will admit I was following you on your last post right up to where you started dirfting into the puppet theater stuff. Then it got weird. I will also admit I laughed at the entire post. I really did think it was a nice offer to help with aluminum welding and im sure at some point some people may wish to take you up on the offer in some other contex such as fixing a leaking boat or something.

Now, having followed your posts. I will say there a common theme and it seems to be more about physical limitations rather than duck hunts. Nothing wrong with that. It just comes across as "my back hurts, I cant hunt". At least that how some of us take it. Im sure not how you intend it. I'll also admit Ive had a few laughs at your expenses because of it. Probably not the most mature thing but that happens a lot with me. I do to some extent find your skulling somewhat interesting from the stand point that its a different technique that I know next to nothing about. Probably not my cup of tea but I still have an interest.

This forum can be rough on people who dont conform to the norm. You gotta have thick skin and be able to laugh it off or you dont last. Doesnt mean you should change. If we were all the same this forum would be boring. We gotta have people to be mad at...I wont say the "N" word and people to laugh at. At some point we all take a beating. Since you basically dance to the beat of a differnt drummer when it comes to duck hunting, you'll probably continue to take crap. Having said that Ive always followed the "who gives a rats ass what other people think of me" path in life.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby greyling » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:44 am

Montana is filled with several species of ducks and geese. Also, Montana's landscapes are so diverse that ducks can be shot in little mountian streams, large lakes and reservoirs, big rivers, large fields or small wetlands. I enjoy learning how people across the state use different techniques to take different species of birds from mallards in the ponds to goldeneyes in the fast river current. The different styles and ways to duck hunt is what I enjoy reading about the most.
greyling
hunter

Postby pmahler » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:22 am

Dave, just busting balls & I am sorry if I offended you. It is easy to be an ass on the internet or if your name is Mule Slayer, AKA Nonya. Just having fun.

Paul, what are you talking about. The N word,...Naggers? People who annoy you? Oh , ok, I got it. Thank you Trey Parker & Matt Stone.
pmahler
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:41 am

Pete-The "N" word = Nonya usually a no fun zone topic on here
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Rat Fink » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:50 am

I should go visit Little Alligator arm. I need a quart of oil and some wiper blades. :biggrin:
Rat Fink
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:17 am

Some day Im going to also. He owes me money.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Rat Fink » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:41 pm

phutch30 wrote:Some day Im going to also. He owes me money.

We should go in there together. Tell him who we are and that he is a little bitch. I bet the turd on the floor would be at least as big as his oversized mongrel head.
Rat Fink
hunter

Postby TopWop » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 pm

With his acute senses he would know who you
were before you got out of the truck.
TopWop
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:58 pm

I wouldn't take it personally.

One thing I would recommend would be to visit the various sub-forums where you can talk directly to people who share you interest in some aspects of waterfowling. Remember, Montana is a big state, but there are relatively few waterfowlers and most 'hardcore' guys generally hunt pretty conventionally over water and fields. There are very few diver hunters, maybe a handful of true layout and skull boats in the state and thus, not a lot of interest in that kind of hunting. You'll find more people who share those interest on the diver forum and the boat forum.

I wouldn't post about skulling or layout hunting on the MT forum and expect a whole lot more participation than you've gotten, because there isn't anyone (at least to my knowledge) on the forum who does those things very often.

The puppet blind was kinda funny, go back and re-read it yourself and you have to admit that it's kinda funny :lol3: I've written plenty of silly things on duck hunting forums myself (many not on purpose), so again, you shouldn't take it personally.

Hey, I say that in order to calm the waters we should all get together for a big puppet show, I'll even use hutch as my personal hand puppet :hammer: Maybe afterwards we can have a pillow fight? :beer:
Last edited by wingnutty on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:55 pm

I enjoy reading your posts and learning about how other people hunt the same birds I do. Everyone gives a little crap, it's just the internet, keep posting and thanks for the welding offer. :thumbsup:
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:51 pm

wingnutty wrote:I wouldn't take it personally.

One thing I would recommend would be to visit the various sub-forums where you can talk directly to people who share you interest in some aspects of waterfowling. Remember, Montana is a big state, but there are relatively few waterfowlers and most 'hardcore' guys generally hunt pretty conventionally over water and fields. There are very few diver hunters, maybe a handful of true layout and skull boats in the state and thus, not a lot of interest in that kind of hunting. You'll find more people who share those interest on the diver forum and the boat forum.

I wouldn't post about skulling or layout hunting on the MT forum and expect a whole lot more participation than you've gotten, because there isn't anyone (at least to my knowledge) on the forum who does those things very often.

The puppet blind was kinda funny, go back and re-read it yourself and you have to admit that it's kinda funny :lol3: I've written plenty of silly things on duck hunting forums myself (many not on purpose), so again, you shouldn't take it personally.

Hey, I say that in order to calm the waters we should all get together for a big puppet show, I'll even use hutch as my personal hand puppet :hammer: Maybe afterwards we can have a pillow fight? :beer:

I have the perfect sock puppet for you
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby quackpipe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:43 pm

You should PM Quackhead about Skulling. I think he said he does it with a fork, but I'm not into that stuff.
quackpipe
hunter

Postby tealdog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:29 pm

pmahler wrote:
Paul, what are you talking about. The N word,...Naggers? People who annoy you? Oh , ok, I got it. Thank you Trey Parker & Matt Stone.

:lol3: :clapping: Funniest thing those guys every wrote!!!!! :hammer:
tealdog
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:00 am

Wingnut- You can use me as your hand puppet anytime you want.

Naggers? I get it now, been a while since Ive seen that south park episode. At first I though Pete was just acting like a ra-tard.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:48 pm

phutch30 wrote:Wingnut- You can use me as your hand puppet anytime you want.

That's disgusting.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby darcher » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:47 am

I enjoyed reading the posts. Although the great majority of responses so far have been more personal advice giving, one hunter did say that he enjoyed reading about the “different styles and ways to hunt” here in Montana. I concur. Wingnutty, your reference to the sub-forums was a good reminder. But I am a Montana hunter, and I support a diverse range of discussions for this forum. I know from personal email responses that there are more duck boat builders here in Montana than what you might expect. As for your point about conventionality and that not many open water diver hunters exist in this state, I have run into two parties at the Polson boat launch this year who were heading out to the open water with layout boats and a mother boat, and I received an email from a layout boat hunter who hunts successfully for divers on a popular reservoir out of Bozeman. In one of your comments you stated that hunting mallards out in the open on the mud flats was not a successful way to hunt. From my experience so far, I would agree. And yet a week after my post asking about hunting out on the flats, I witnessed a man who answered my question not on this forum but with a limit of mallards from a well concealed layout boat at a place that you know well. As I said in my last post, I have exhausted what I want to post and will settle in on enjoying posts from others for a while. I thought I would end this comment with answering my own post. I really enjoyed the photograph from the guy who camouflaged his boat exceedingly well. Anything regarding duck boats draws my interest. (I hope the guy selling his Devlin boat changes his mind.) I love to hear guys sharing their experiences with field hunting techniques. (Please let up on the barley field advice. I know from experience that it is next to impossible to get permission to hunt fields here in the Bitterroot Valley. Besides I don’t want to make the investment.) I enjoy reading the posts from young, inexperienced hunters. The forum treats these men kindly. I pause over every photograph posted by a man who gives credit to his retriever. It makes me remember some good canine friends in my own past. Just this season, I ran into a guy who made seven life-like field decoys using Canada geese that he had shot and mounted on stands. No “wanton waste” with this guy. I am always interested in someone sharing how to set up their spreads with a jerk cord or what their thoughts are on spinner decoys. (I cannot say with certainty, but I think my new Robo duck spooked some geese a few days ago.) These are the topics that I enjoy reading about. I hope a few more readers will respond.
darcher
hunter

Postby gunsnrods » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:39 am

Mojo's tend to scare geese, hunting mallards out of a pumpkin seed style layout boat isnt ideal, im sure their are areas around bozeman that permission is free, Stream access can be obtained from any legal access point and allows you to hunt below high water mark for waterfowl, If you want to learn alot more about layout waterfowl hunting tho you plan on using none of the knowledge, just that you want to learn go to a forum like michigan where they have the great lakes and you will learn TONS about layout hunting ducks, stop making things so hard and hunt. Honestly you seem to know plenty about waterfowl to go kill some ducks but are seemingly making things hard on yourself. You already talked about mudding a layout blind and how u need to carry a water spray bottle to keep the blind looking good. Then go do it. i shot a limit every time this year i mudded my layout on a mud flat edge. Or hunt where the edge of the lake has a big cliff. This will make shooting ducks more below you and may accommodate your physical limitations. i quit hunting mud flats with my layout this year when i figured out id still shoot my limit off the shore hiding my boat 100 yards away and the hunt was 100%easier.

I too dont understand the turd mission comments. I like to see photos of birds, limits or not. I like people to ask questions this is what this forum is for. I dont think questions should be like where are the ducks? what should i use, as a matter of fact can u just take me to ur spot im too lazy to go try things myself.
gunsnrods
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:51 pm

In one of your comments you stated that hunting mallards out in the open on the mud flats was not a successful way to hunt.

Not to be nit-picky, but I did not say that at all. What I said was this in response to your question about hunting mallards out of a conventional layout boat:
You won't kill mallards consistantly without having cover over top of yourself, they fly to high and are too wary. You can certainly try and you might kill a few early in the morning, but I've done it and it don't work.

Also, yes, there are some diver hunters in Montana, but not many. 'Many' is relative, but there might be 20 true layout boats (pumpkin style), total in Montana, whereas in WI, MN, MI...there are thousands. So yeah, MT doesn't have 'many' diver hunters. And there are even fewer on this forum who do it on a regular basis; if you want to talk 'divers' with others, my suggestion is to go to the 'divers forum' where you can find 'many' diver hunters :yes: Most certainly you can post here regarding those subjects, but don't expect a lot of participation.
wingnutty
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting