Anyone else looking forward to killing something?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Anyone else looking forward to killing something?

Postby Troutslayer » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:02 pm

I've been on hiatus from the forum for a while. Been busy fly-fishing and enjoying summer. Shooting a little sporting clays and looking forward to killing things.

Why haven't the regs come out yet? I've been looking forward to planning my hunting and also applying for a swan tag.

I'm going to get a couple of layout blinds this year, and something for the dogs to hide under too. Thinking I'll mostly hunt prarie potholes and some bigger water in my skiff. I lost a few hunting buddies to places with more career opportunities so if anyone's interested in getting together for some serious waterfowling this year, that would be cool.

Elk are bugeling a little, nights are getting longer, my trigger finger's got an itch.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:30 pm

Which regs are you talking about. Big game is out. Waterfowl regs havent been finalized yet but the tenative regs are out. Pretty much the same as last year. We have a 105 day season in the pacific flyway,with no more than 2 female mallards, 1 pintail, 1 canvasback, 2 redheads and 3 scaup. We have a pintails the whole season again. The central flyway is different as always.

heres the link
http://fwp.mt.gov/publicnotices/notice_1169.aspx

If you get a layout blind I recommend the final approach pro guide. Its more expensive but worth it.

Swan tags need to be postmarked by Sept 15th.

Paul
phutch30
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:54 pm

Thanks for that link, I tried searching their site and didn't find that. Do you have a link to that swan tag application or do those become avalible with the finalized regs?
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:49 pm

I have been eyeing the decoys quite frequently the past few weeks. Took the boat down the river last weekend and I am ready to see the ducks and geese at the end of the gun barrel. I would definatly be up for getting together for a shooting spree sometime, some company to shoot the breeze & the ducks is always pleasant.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:04 pm

Troutslayer- The swan apps are on the MT fwp website. Go to hunting,then obtain a license, and then you either do it on line or click paper application. Then scroll down to permits and click on 2006 swan application and print it out. Or just click on the link below. LOL

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/obtainlicense/mail.html

If you draw let us know. A couple of us are planning a freezout trip around halloween for swans, snow geese, ducks and upland birds.
phutch30
hunter

Postby marcbme » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:25 am

Troutslayer wrote:Thanks for that link, I tried searching their site and didn't find that. Do you have a link to that swan tag application or do those become avalible with the finalized regs?

Head down to the FWP office on Spurgin, lady behind the counter entered me right then and there. Much easier then mailing the app
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:24 pm

That's what I did, Spurgin office. While I was at it got my duck stamps, 200 Deer B (over the counter baby), my upland bird, and figured why not just apply for a bison tag. Now it's time to play the waiting game, maybe shoot some grouse, that'll ease the pain a little.
Troutslayer
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting