Big brookie

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Big brookie

Postby phutch30 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:41 pm

Did a combo fishing/ elk scouting/ hiking trip last weekend. I hiked into some lakes to try to catch some golden trout, but it appears they are no longer in the lakes. In one I caught a bunch of 10" brook trout and then I hooked this hog. He was 14-16 inches and 2lbs plus. He was about 3-4 inches thick. I caught him in a lake that sits at over 9000 feet. The cool thing about this fish is his likely age. Fish at this elevation tend to grow pretty slow so I would guess he would be in the 10+ year age class. Pretty cool. I let him go. I also saw 3 bull elk, one that was in the 330-340 class. It was a great trip until it got dark and I didnt have a flashlight and I was out of water and 3 miles back in the mountains. Hiking through timber by brail isnt that much fun. Other than that it was great.

The tall peak in the pic is 9872'

and the brookie

phutch30
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:45 pm

Like your style phutch. I live in so calif, you couldn't pull off a scouting trip like that in Ca for all the money in the world. Show me pics of that elk when you bag him.
tstrong
hunter

Postby quackpipe » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:54 pm

I went down there to catch a golden but never did. I didnt know that they weren't there anymore. Do you know if they do exist in montana at all or are they just gone from that lake you went to?
quackpipe
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:11 pm

They are in the gallatin range in wonder of wonders..golden trout lake ( some nice ones in there), they are in several lakes in the bearthooths and they are in the crazies- state record came from cave lake.They are supposed to still be a few in sawthooth lake in the pioneers,but I cant catch one there. They no longer stock them in lakes though, so only lakes that support self reproducing populations still have them.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:28 pm

I have heard rumors that they are in some of the lakes in the Bitterroots, near the state line trail. Supposedly remnants from stocking efforts in the 70s.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby quackpipe » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:17 pm

I think that I possibly caught one at hub or hazel lake one time but did not photo it, or really even know what goldens look like. it is off exit 26 on i90 and on the stateline trail. I will probably go back some time next summer and try again. They were chewing on my flies like mad that day.
quackpipe
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:06 am

If you catch a pure3 golden you will know it. Other than a male brookie in spawning dress no trout is as pretty. The ones I have caught have been a yellow/gold color with bright red on the belly gill plate and throat. I am getting one mounted as soon as I catch one bigger that 10".
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting