Somewhere secret

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Somewhere secret

Postby phutch30 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:19 am

This is a story told to me by someone who shall remain unnamed. I cant say where and I cant say who was with. In fact im probably going to be disavowed for this and dissapear. So nice knowning every one.

So heres what I was told.....

Day 1 started slow. We were in the wrong spot a quick move and it was on. 27 greenheads and a drake pinnie

Day 2- After extensive discussion between the hunt mediator and the hunt organizer, it was decided to split up and one group would return to the prior days location and another would hunt a feild. Myself and the hunt mediator returned to the same slough and set up. By 1pm and after seeing several thousand birds, we were done. The other sportsmen in the feild took longer and didnt quite get it done. As a result of them hunting till dark and due to some running around described below we didnt get a pic. However they did get a banded bird. After processing some birds we all went out for dinner and to plan for Day 3.

Oh yea, while at the water spot I did a little wildlife conservation by capturing this wounded fellow. Later we turned it over to an animal rehab center. Which by the time we finnished I was wishing I'd left it to starve or just wrung its neck.

Day 3- After some rather heated discussion between the hunt mediator and hunt organizer, as well as lots of skepticism by the hunt organizer about being able to do a 3-peat, it was decided that 3 of us would go back to the spot we hunted on day 1 and 2. As on the prior days hunts it was slow until around 10ish and then waves of birds appeared. waiting for the the right oppertunities the 3 of us shot a couple singles and 2 triples (3-man singles). Due to some poor gun maintence my shotgun was not cycling properly. I found by throwing it in into the reeds that the problem was fixed......Ok that and going back to a vehicle for some Rem oil fixed it. Shortly there after unfortunetly the hunt organizer had to leave with only 4 greenheads. After some more discussion between a hunt mediator and aformentioned hunt organizer, it was decided that myself and the remaining hunter/hunt mediator would be allowed to remain and finnish out. I should state that the action wasnt steady it came in short bursts. No birds for an hour and then you were covered for 5 min and then no birds and an hour later covered. So anyway, at this point the two of us had 7 greenheads and 1 goose between us. about 45 min after the hunt organizer left we had a large group fly over and we managed to break about 1/2 of them off and get them to cup in. 2 greenheads came in hard and fast and landed with about 35 trailing in. Now I wont swear there was only 1 hen in this group but I'd bet money there werent more than 3. Anyway as the wall of green hit the brakes at 25 yards I said "take em"! 6 shots later 6 greenheads were on the ground. Cant say Ive ever double trippled on all green or seen it done before so that was really cool. So at this point the other hunter is done and I need one. About 45 min later as I was kneeling and praying 10 feet from my shotgun for another duck before the other hunter (an my ride) had to leave at 12, I looked up and from outa nowhere heres a group with again mostly drakes almost over the decoys (that will teach me to mix religion and hunting). So I dove back for the shotty and pulled up and dropped #7....right at 12pm.

Last edited by phutch30 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:58 am, edited 11 times in total.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: Somewhere secret

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:27 am

WOW!!! :eek: Six greenheads with six shots out of the same group with only two hunters? I can't say I've ever been part of something like that, until this weekend. Great work Paul.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:29 am

DUDE!!! no names!!

And i still cant see your sexy avitar
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:35 am

I was told by someone to never take a fat guy where the mud is deep :yes: :beer:
phutch30
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:35 am

How do you know it's sexy then?
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 am

Pete told me it was a pic of you rubbing on oil
phutch30
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:26 am

Dang, you guys really kill 'em.

These pictures inspire me to find a spot like that.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby rew » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:19 pm

nice pics. enjoyed the story as well. think you secretive cover was blown though
rew
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:28 pm

Why does my dog keep showing up in your pics? :huh:
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby pmahler » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:26 am

Hunt organizer sounds like he is waiting for his guiding fee checks
pmahler
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 am

Would have been a great post but PFs avatar keeps getting in the way. Good job on the birds :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby hntndux » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Beautiful...Havent seen that many green heads in Cali all year...
hntndux
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting