What did you learn this season?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

What did you learn this season?

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Well now that the season is over, what are some things everybody learned this year?
Myself:

1:A waterproof, floating blind bag is only so if the top is zipped. The hunting buddy who jumped out of the boat to chase it down the rapids wasn't waterproof either. Neither was the three day old $400 camera inside.

2: A new jetboat sounds real fun and exciting until you get it, then rip a hole the size of a briefcase in the bottom of it in July.
2a:When you are on the river and parts start falling off your jet motor its good to have Phutch along with you. Nice to know a piece of russian olive branch can substitute for a metal pin.
2b: When a bolt falls out of said motor and breaks the aformentioned russian olive branch and Phutch isn't with you it's good to know you can fix the original branch with another, rob a bolt from somewhere else and cut a couple washers out of some shotgun shells in the dark in the middle of a blizzard eight miles downstream from the launch only to find out the motor won't register it is in neutral and start.
2c:Having a piece of wire to jump the solenoid can save a eight mile walk.
3: Anyone in the market for a great used jet boat? Most everything works some of the time.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Re: What did you learn this season?

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:48 pm

4: You can shoot multiple man limits of mallards on the same slough, same spot, three days in a row. Hi Pete! :hi:

5: If you hunt with Topwop, don't be afraid to let him think he shot some of the birds you shot. Let him "limit out", then fill your limit. The way he shoots its the only way to get off the river in less then nine hours. Hutch and I took turns saying, "good shot Top, I only shot once but you emptied your gun so you must have got him"

6: Take kids hunting, it will help you remember why we do what we do.

7: 82 days in a season chasing waterfowl is a long season.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby sloth » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:16 pm

-6 degrees + laying in fresh snow = cold

insulated boots and hand warmers are required when temps reach -

dont shoot geese over the river if you dont know how deep it is. (keep dry clothes in the truck)

neoprene can freeze.

remember to check for TP in your blind bag before you drop a deuce. going sock-less in boots is no fun!
DU Member
YAT-YAS
USMC '04-'12
sloth
hunter

Postby montana bound » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:47 pm

The most important thing in order of importance.

1. When buying ,new boat and motor, new decoys for water and field , make sure you have a truck that is not useless on ice and snow :fingerhead: .
Number one on list buy old 4x4 for duck hunting!!!!!!!!!!

2.Never Never have 3 labs due in the same week at the end of July, it puts a big crimp in ones hunting time. :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead:

3. Start righting this stuff in a journal because when your over 40 you cant remember crap. :lol3:
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby shawdawg02 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:20 pm

I learned that hunting buddies get pissed when yell take um as you are pulling the trigger on the lead bird. My hunting buddies also learned that a single that comes in is only theirs for about 3 seconds or until I can't take waiting any longer and shoot it.

I guess I learned that I'm a bird hog!!

It was a great season for us and we hunted a lot of new territory and did really well. :beer:
shawdawg02
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:30 pm

1.When its all said and done, when your hunting with friends the number of ducks u shoot dont matter

2. Always bring a second jet boat on outa town river hunts as a backup.....especially with PTRoofer

3. Dont be lazy, clean your POS benelli at least 2x during the season

4. No matter how good your dog may be or how good you may think they are. They are gunna have bad days.

5.When above happens dont take it out on your buddy.

6. You cant burn out a spot in 3 days where 5000+ mallards are flying over if only 1% are coming into the deeks....no matter how many you shoot :biggrin:

7. 2 guys can make it rain green with 6 shots :beer:
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:59 am

8: When Pauls dog has a bad day, just walk away.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby pmahler » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:30 pm

1) continue to take care of your farmers & generate new relationships to allow for more places to hunt

2) scout scout scout...& you never know until you ask as the worst they can say is no

3) avoid wastes of time & energy (I.e., N of MSLA in Dec)

4) bring friends, family & newbies hunting

5) don't sweat the small stuff

6) work on the pup in water this off season

7) appreciate generosity & always respect the landowner & their property

8) have fun w/your pals & enjoy the camaraderie in the blind
pmahler
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:24 pm

1. Scout if you want to kill birds consistently

2. Keep your log book of all hunts up to date, it helps planning hunts in future years by patterning birds

3. Shoot um when you got um. Don't wait till tomorrow to kill birds, kill um today. Had a few hunts where I said "I'll hunt that spot tomorrow" only to find that tomorrow the birds moved.

4. When you are too tired to go, having hunted multiple days in a row, before work; get up and go again cause the season ends before you know it.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:23 pm

1. I am awesome.
2. You all suck.
3. That is all.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby K-Town » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:44 pm

1. Commarant and grebes make for some fine table fare

2. Trying to line up a hunt with pmahler is next to impossible

3. Try to have your deer tags filled BEFORE the rut, because thats when the bird hunting gets HOT
K-Town
hunter

Postby klabrel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:40 pm

1. Make all supply orders before the season starts

2. Tying down gear for the ride home is necessary after a long day's hunt, otherwise you will lose a game cart and a bag of dekes

3. Scouting does pay off

4. Don't let shawdog call the shots...it'll be a long hunt watching him kill all the birds

5. Never let sky-busters set up downstream of you, especially when divers are around

6. Forgetting robo's pole can make long days longer

7. Barbed-wire and neoprene don't get along

Had a lot of fun this season. Got to spend a lot more time chasing birds with buddies this year. Already looking forward to next season.
klabrel
hunter

Postby gunsnrods » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:53 pm

1. gun oil from the mud motor dip stick works if ur in a pinch.
2. call ur local food bank to donate some cleaned birds if they have someone who would like them
3. the best mornings are usually with u u enjoy spending the most time with. dog, family, close friend
4. the best shots are the ones u didnt think u should take when the hunting is slow
5. u get out what u put it
6. keep it simple stupid
7. take time off work to hunt
8. take the dog even if its more work
gunsnrods
hunter

Postby quackpipe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 pm

1. Mahler is not a strong swimmer, but he does have a soft mouth.
2. Troutslayer can lose all his calls, and he will just get more.
3. Quackhead can shoot a pump fast when his BAC is under 2.0 (rarely and never after 10 AM)
4. Keep Turd Missions to the bathroom.
5. Idaho has ridiculous hunting.
6. Don't leave a hunt in GFalls to have surgery in Missoula, stay in GFalls.
7. Skybust at snow geese, they are made of paper
quackpipe
hunter

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:56 pm

1. Getting blind set well before season start was good move - friend was able to get his son over for jr hunt. Kid drops two honkers before 10am.
2. dont mind letting birds fly by when you watch the older guys you are out with drop a couple when they get near them
3. Its okay to stay sitting and let the other person in the blind shoot when the other person is your wife and she gets her first limit ever that morning. (thankfully finishd my limit in the afternoon)
4. call based on how the ducks responds - wives last duck of her limit I worked with calls and not calling for 5 minutes till the greenhead finally committed to the 20yd shot
5. only newbies are allowed to shoot penguins(goldeneyes) then have them clean one and eat it to prevent them from ever shooting another one
6. okay to pass on greenheads when the odd limit of wigeon happens in less than an hour
7. never shoots birds off the pond when walking to the blind - let them filter back in
8. while picking up bird early season be prepared for those wood ducks hiding in the brush (missed out with woodies jumping up at my place even after shooting all morning
9 When birds are in hunt every day if you can
10 treat all land as if it was yours - public and private - keep it clean (pick up more spent shells that you shoot in a season)
11 with season over, start knocking on doors to get new access for next year
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting