Thought about posting more yotie pics, but

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Thought about posting more yotie pics, but

Postby phutch30 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:22 pm

I got yelled at last time. Only shot 8 though so no big deal
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: Thought about posting more yotie pics, but

Postby montana bound » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Post them Doggies! :thumbsup:
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby TopWop » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:39 pm

All coming together now, all those dogs you shoot.
You MUST be the Asian in those videos.
Now I know what you mean when you say you are
going to "wok the dog"
TopWop
hunter

Postby jberg440 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:16 am

phutch30 wrote:I got yelled at last time. Only shot 8 though so no big deal

Seriously? How lame... Lets see these dogs!
The man banging on the door kept yelling "Alcohol, Tobbaco, and Firearms!" I just assumed it was more supplies.
jberg440
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:10 am

phutch30 wrote:I got yelled at last time. Only shot 8 though so no big deal

No pictures , No story :sad:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 am

Well I can tell a story but I messed up the pics downloading them and they are now stored as hieroglyphics rather than a jpeg.

Day 1

Left town on Friday afternoon for a destination NE of great falls. Got a room in a REALLY seedy motel. $45/night including the pet fee. After looking the room over I think I got screwed over. Im sure the last person in there did cuz there appeared to be DNA evidence remaining on the sheets. The bathroom was disapointing to say the least. HAD I sat on the pot, my feet would have had to go into the shower since it was about 8" from the front to the lip of the shower. Not to be nit picky or anything but the cleaning lady missed a spot while cleaning the pot. Also for some reason the water always looked like it was urine.

Anyway long story short it was the only room in town so I slept in my sleeping bag on top of the sheets.

Sat Morn was perfect calling conditions, cold and almost no wind (which is rare up on the border). First stand and 3 min into the call here come a pair hauling ass down the creek bottom trying to see who is going to be "winner,winner, chicken dinner" well a sweet pale female popped up onto the wheat and I hooted at her and stopped her at about 85 yards. Bang! flop 1st yote down and its not even full light yet. Got in the truck and drove about a mile walked out to a knob over looking a big draw. Turned on the rabbit meat grinder and got ready. About the 8 min mark, I see a dot way way out coming over a hill at top speed. Pretty quick Im hollering....and hollering .....and hollering but this one AINT letting the free meal get away i.e it wont stop running at the call. So at 40 yards I try and shoot a grey streak thru a scope turned up to 10x. Not happening. LOL I suck at shooting running coyotes.LOL A little cussing as I pick up my call and dignity and its on to the next stand. A full 20 minn later an nothing not even a magpie. At this point a thick fog is rolling in along with a little breeze. Im ok with the breeze cuz I think its going to blow off the fog. Nope pretty quick I cant see 200 yards. Oh well, drive a couple miles and set up on the edge of some wheat stubblewith A BIG patch of CRP grass next to it. Turn on the call and poof, like magic theres a coyote standing there looking at the call. CRAP! I dont even have my rifle on the shooting sticks yet. While Im slowly trying to do this the coyote is stalking the call totaly focused on it rather than me and moose sitting 60 yards to the left. I get everything set, hoot, coyote stops, BANG flop, yotie #2 in the truck. The day is looking sweet for me 3 stands 3 callins and its not even 9am yet. So on to the next stand. This is a great location. Ive shot 6 coyotees here this year in 6 stands so confidence is high. Its native prarie that slopes up hill from a big brushy creek bottom and at mid slope is a patch of snowberries to hide in. So i set up turn on the call and pretty quick theres a coyote right in front of me in the fog at 150 yards standing oblivouse to me. So I take off the safty and squeeze the 1lb set trigger and well I didnt have to skin this one. After some choice self chastising I got over the miss. The next 3 stands are blanks and now its about 12. I swing into a big ranch right on the candian border to check in. As Im standing there talking to the owner commenting on how it would be nice if the fog lifted. It did. Then I felt a wall of warm air hit us and I said "dam when it warms up it usually gets windy. No sooner said than done. Wind went from 8-10mph to 25-35 almost at once. I made another 4 or 5 stands but with the wind screaming I was only sitting for 10 min and got all blanks. Right before dark I went to set up on a bale stack that was at the bottom of a tight creek bottom with really thick brush. Started calling and about 10 min in I see a coyote coming. It looks like a really dark one for this area, almost too dark, but its for sure a coyote and I tell myself its just cuz its almost dark out. When he gets to about 75 yards I howl to stop him in an openinng in the brush and drop him. When I get up to him I quickly step away. I did this one a favor. He has mange so bad on the back end hes almost hairless. I decide to head back to my little piece of heaven and get ready for day 2. When I get there, I quickly notice that the turd stuck to the pot is still there. I decide that either the cleaning lady doesnt do bathrooms or the turd is far more tenacious than I give it credit for. Scoff down an 8psc chicken and a 1/2 gal of fat free milk and its off to bed.

In hindsight the chicken/milk combo was a poor choice since I didnt want to use the pot. Live and learn :fingerhead:
Last edited by phutch30 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:36 am

Pretty good so far ! Lets hear the rest :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Day 2

Weather report said Sun was supposed to be great wind wise and it was spot on.

For what ever reason the first 1/2 of the day sucked. I made 5 stands in prime looking yotie country and drew blanks on every one, never even saw one out and about. So I pulled up stakes and moved about 20 miles to some new country that looked good on paper. To access it I had to stop and get permission to go thru some private. 30 min of chewing the fat with a crusty rancher and promising to shoot every &^%^$^% coyote I saw, I got permission to hunt. Worked out good cuz this ranch was rather extensive to say the least, more so when you included the non private portions.

So I start in and find a nice creek bottom with a wheat feild along it with several draws leading back into the hills. So I park behind a little hill and set up on the other side. About 5 min into the setup here come a pair racing each other to be first. When they drop into the creek bottom at about 250 yards I shut off the call and when they pop back up I hoot and stop both at about 150. Looking them over ral quick I decide on the big male and squeez one off. Click! ^%$^&!!!!! I forgot to take off the safty! With my set up and set trigger this rquires me to reset the set trigger. While doing this I must have also taken the safty off. So while two fluffy Monatan pales are standing there looking around getting nervouse I touch one off by accident without even looking thru the scope in the general direction of the coyotes. Man was I mad! 5 hours of blanks and to blow a sure thing like this for stupidity. :no: :oops:

Drove down the ranch road about a mile and decided to set up on the break between a fallow and recent wheat feild. On this stand there was the same creek bottom sans any cover and the terrian was really flat for over a mile out in front of me. There wasnt anywhere to set up I liked so I just layed in the stubble in my snow camo. About 10 min into it I see a coyote hauling bacon way, way, way out there. In fact I had to glass it to confirm it was a yote. Never slowing that coyote came in running from over a mile. When he got to about 200 I stopped him with a holler and bang! DRT. Yea im on the board.

Well from then on it was smokin. Pretty sure, based on the lack of tire tracks in the snow and the wanton abandon with which coyotes responed with on almost every stand from then on, this area hadnt been hunted at the very least this year. so heres a run down of the next 4 hours. There was so much sweet country and large number of coyotes I was only sitting 10 min or so and then driving 1/2 mile to the next prime spot so I was able to make a large number of stands in a short time. Over the 2nd 1/2 of the day I prob stayed in a 4x4 mile area.

Stand 3- literally 10 secs after turning on the call, here come 5 from 3/4 mile out. 3min later I was walking up on a nice female who had outrun the other 4.

Stand 4-Found a section of CRP surrounded by wheat stubble. After setting up I see a big dog sitting on a hill watching me. Crap! Oh well prob not the only dog around. Turn on the call and start looking. Pretty quick I realized I set up in a poor spot. the CRP grass is 4 feet tall and I cant really see to shoot. Too late now cuz heres a coyote coming in hard with another coming over the hill. The first comes right to the call but every time I stop it its in tall grass and I cant shoot. Guess what samr thing on the next one, no shot possible. Well here comes another. So I try stopping this one out around 250 where I can at least see it. No dice, it wants the rabbit. Well this one left using a route that wasnt as thick. I stopped her at about 275 and popped her. After looking at her I shoulda held for 200 cuz I clipped her across the back and can see a lot of sewing ahead when I put her on the stretcher.

Stand 5- Driving around I find another CRP field. Like an idiot I set up in it rather than out in the stubble. 5 min into the call her comes a coyote that thinks its a kangaroo. Its pogo hopping in the air to see over the grass. Jumping 3' off the ground. pretty funny to watch. Anyway, at about 200 yards I start trying to stop it. Shut off the call and howl. No dice, all this does is turn the kangaroo straight at me. so Im sitting there and can only see the coyote when it hits bounces up, and its getting closer. Nothing will stop this coyote so at about 35 yards I try to shoot it at the peak of its parrabola on one of its jumps. LMAO what a waste of a shell. still laughin that I thought I could do that.

Stand 6 Blank

Stand 7 blank but saw 4 coming when I stood up. Crap!

Stand 8- Set up in a patch of snowberry 1/2 way up a big knob overlooking a large series of draws with wheat stubble about a mile down in the bottom. Looked like money to me. Sure enough, 5 min in here comes one hauling bacon over the hill. stop him at 100 yards and another yotie for the stretcher.

on the way to stand 9, I tried to get thru a drift. No dice, lost 40 min getting out.

Stand 10 I was driving along a big creek bottom with cottonwoods and lots of willows. Look super sweet but the wind was blowing totally wrong for it. I finally found a spot where I could maybe pull off a stand. NOPE couple min in I see a pair coming in from my left and downwind'ish. I just watched them until they ran into my scent and slammed on the brakes and reversed directions fast.

Its now about 515 and Im looking for a cherry spot to finnish up. Ive done a big loop to the north and swung around south and now Im angling north again to get out before dark. I really want a CRP/wheat location since these are money today. Well just before dark and almost back to the ranchers driveway ( I can see his house about 2 miles away), I find what Im looking for. side by side wheat and CRP that stretch for a section. I set up against a fence post and start the call. 5 min go by, then 10 and then 15 and Im like screw it im sitting till its dark, I figure I maybe have 7 or 8 min of shootinng light left when way out in the wheat stubble I see 2 blobs scraming across the snow towards me. When they start getting close I start looking thru the scope but cant see them not enough light even at 4x. At 70 yards I can see the lead dog in the scope and howl and stop it. Bang! I hear it hit but the muzzel blast blinds me so I look over the scope and see a coyote coominng right at me. I quickly try to work the bolt thinking its the one I jsut shot and somehow partially jam the action. As the yote comes under the fence 30 yards to my left Im still thinkin its shot. Its acting weird and slowing down. I try to get it in the scope but its too dark. It runs right up to the call all puffed up and sorta hunches up and swings around the call and then hauls ass outa there. For some reason I still think its the one I shot, so I send moose after it. Yea hes dual purpose. But theres no chance hes going to catch this thing. LOL When I stand up I see a really pretty pale coyote laying dead 50 yards from me. Shes so pale she blends in nice in the snow.

So good day all in all. Really have to start bringing my shotgun with me on all stands. Cost me some $$$ on this trip
phutch30
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Great story :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby rew » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:46 pm

love the pic that is great. this is crap
rew
hunter