Don't shoot the trespasser!

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Don't shoot the trespasser!

Postby PinTeal » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:17 am

Howdy all. I am a moderator over at the California forum (ugh...God forbid), but before all of you pull out your guns, trust me when I say I think I hate it more than you guys. I am a complete country boy, and hate the city and the concrete.

I am 23 years old and have been here my entire life. Grew up in Southern California and went to Nor. Cal for college. I graduated last December from Sacramento State and now want to go to Law School. My main interest is in Montana and the University in Missoula. I do have some questions for some of you guys though, if you're willing to be kind enough to answer. What is the job market up there like? How about housing? I cannot afford to buy a house, so renting is my option, albeit house or apartment. What does the typical place rent for up there?

Thanks a lot guys.

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:48 am

I am in Missoula frequently on business. Hearing from my customers, there is a shortage of good people to hire. Yes, there are thousands of college students, but... I guess that means that one could find a job while going to school there. It might be retail, but...

I would suggest looking in the online version of the Missoula newspaper for both job listings and rentals. That should give you a real idea.

As a town, Missoula is getting big. Nowhere near Sacramento in terms of traffic, crime, etc., but big by Montana standards.

There are places to waterfowl hunt if you have time and are willing to drive 1 to 2 hours. But you are probably doing that in California to hunt overcrowded land (or paying for a lease). You won't have the bird concentration in MT that you have at the Sac Refuge System, but less (or un)crowded hunts reward those who put in the effort.

Good luck with your decision.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:50 am

There have been several posts on this subject in the last year. If you go back thru the old topics youll get some good info.First your income will depend on what you do for work. Second you will take a big cut in pay for most jobs. Third most montanans will light your car onj fire when they see your plates. LOL just kidding......or am I. The good news houses are alot cheaper than they are in Cali. The hunting is mostly better, unless you have access to some of those private duck clubs. MT is much much more rural than most of CA.

Rent starts at about 600 for a decent 2 bedroom and goes up fast. Houses are expensive in Missoula.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:52 am

Better keep your eyes on the Law School. They are threatening to shut it down - news this week. The school isn't properly fitted for the needs I guess... The job market it tough here, not uncommon to have a Ph.D. waiting on tables or working a coffee shop. I graduated with a B.S. in Geography and figured that wouldn't be hard to work with here but took me 8 months to find a job and it's no where near what I was thinking. As far as housing goes there are tons of apartments, but I think $600 is pretty low for an apartment anymore around here that is 2 bedroom. Gonna be closer to $750 and up unless you get lucky. Compared to Cali. that might be good price, but for this part of the country it's outrageous.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby PinTeal » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:23 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. The plates will be about the first to go, already figured on that. Kind of discouraging to hear about the job market...but...then again, I am not doing too much now (working in the family business till I start law school). Anyhoo, I appreciate the information guys.

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Return to Montana Duck Hunting