Giving information on hunting spots

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Giving information on hunting spots

Postby phutch30 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:32 am

I really find it funny that someone got p%&&ed that I wont tell everyone to hunt at X spot on secret location because that is where I hunt. If your too lazy or incompetent to find your own hotspots I am not too worried about you as a hunter. If you cant find a good spot in this state, no matter where you live, you are not a duck hunter. Nearly every body of water in MT holds waterfowl at some point in the season.

I am getting a huge kick out of this post. I get about a doz emails a year from people asking where to go on Ennis lake or Clark Canyon or Canyon Ferry or the beaverhead,gallatin, Mo or madison rivers etc,. I alway tell them to go and scout the area but I never tell them to go to this cove or this river bend. I guess that makes me a prick. So be it. So far I have recieved 5 emails about this post all saying I am telling people too much info and I should back off. It aint gunna happen. I think everyone has a right to enjoy hunting. I also think everyone is responsible for thier own legwork.

There is no secret to waterfowl hunting in this state. Go where the birds are today, they may be somewhere else tomorrow.

So get out and enjoy our state,
The Prick :pissed:
phutch30
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:04 am

I have been in Montana just a year and I have spotted numerous hunting spots that I am gonna check out this fall. I have to agree with you phutch30, if people are worried about someone saying X or Y lake, river was good this weekend then they need to take a chill pill. The great thing about these forums is that they are used to share information and help everyone who is looking for somewhere to do some shooting. Unfortunatly, most forums become a bashing fest and everyone takes sides quickly and egos flare. It's easy to call names and make blunt statements without having to show face for the action. I suggest everyone act like big boys and girls and get along and use the forum to benefit everyone. Make friends not enemies.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby nemont » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:12 am

I can't imagine posting all your info on an open forum. I read that post as well and thought it was a joke.

If you have at least one firing brain cell you can find waterfowling opportunities all over the state. There are little things called maps, then the FWP employs people called biologists, in addition every store selling waterfowling equipment has people behind the counter to offer tips, then there is the internet with tools like google or this site and several others that have info available.

I get emails and PM all the time asking about hunting in Eastern Montana and generally I will give general tips but not specifics locations. If spend some time to get to know me and we hit it off I will take you out with me but just to demand info on an open forum is stupid. A person would be stupid to give up that kind of info.

Nemont
nemont
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:09 am

I guess you could employ this analogy to put it into perspective:

You are at a restaurant for lunch after a morning of waterfowling. Your dog is kenneled in the bed of your pickup and you've got some deke bags in there. You come out of the restaurant, where someone in the parking lot has noticed all your waterfowling gear. You don't know them from Adam, but they approach you and ask you where to hunt ducks in the area.

What are you going to tell them? Generalities or specifics? How long will your conversation last before you start giving info?

Why is a stranger on the internet any different?

In fact, for every stranger registered and above-board on the internet there are 10 lurkers.

You guys may think that there is an inexhaustible supply of uncrowded places in Montana, but when giving detailed info you are exponentially kicking up the number of people who now know about the area.

If you don't mind pulling up to your favorite uncrowded boat ramp in a few years to find six rigs ahead of you, knock yourselves out.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:18 am

Who is talking about specifics. I dont give out very many specifics. I have no problem with telling someone a water body. Like I said I wont tell you to hunt on the x but Ill tell you a couple of areas to look. If you dont want to do any legwork to find your own x. Fine dont. There will always be a component within our ranks who are lazy slobs. Its just a fact. If someone walks up to me and asks where to hunt. They are probably only going to get a general area, followed by the advice to scout first. Why lie about it. You never know who your talking to. One of the best places I have ever turkey hunted came about by putting a couple of guys on some elk. Turns out they owned a ranch in SE MT that I now get to turkey hunt on. It doesnt happen very often but it does happen.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:49 pm

phutch30 wrote:Who is talking about specifics. I dont give out very many specifics. I have no problem with telling someone a water body. Like I said I wont tell you to hunt on the x but Ill tell you a couple of areas to look. If you dont want to do any legwork to find your own x. Fine dont. There will always be a component within our ranks who are lazy slobs. Its just a fact. If someone walks up to me and asks where to hunt. They are probably only going to get a general area, followed by the advice to scout first. Why lie about it. You never know who your talking to. One of the best places I have ever turkey hunted came about by putting a couple of guys on some elk. Turns out they owned a ranch in SE MT that I now get to turkey hunt on. It doesnt happen very often but it does happen.

That's the truth, I have helped a few guys out as well. I shoot my limit of ducks and as I am leaving they might be pulling up for the day. I tell them where it's hot and wish them luck. I know they will be back tomorrow to try to hunt it but might as well join forces and make some friends in the process. In one case it was some guys that have oodles of private land but just wanted to do some public hunting to take pressure off their spot for the weekend. Next weekend I am busting ducks and geese like crazy with the guys at their place and eatting bacon, eggs, and hashbrown and wondering how I ever managed before. :mrgreen:

Now I don't do that very often - I won't give you the treasure map, as it were, but it's just as easy to say "try busting some ducks on the Missouri around Great Falls or Fort Benton this weekend, that's where they were hot the other day" they can do the scouting from there.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby Fredito » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

I agree....I have gotten into some great hunting thanks to other people....If I know someone and hunt with them I will tell them exactually where to go, heck...Ill give them GPS coords...but usally those same people take me to their little places...thats part of being a friend....however if someone comes up to me who I have no idea who they are from jack, I will give them a general idea...I would expect a person to do the same thing to me if I asked a stranger...lets face it....hunting spots are becoming harder to find...thats why I had to lay back on phesents...alot of people are protective of thier hunting spots, me included...I am more then willing to share with friends, but I have a hard time sharing with strangers....I guess I dont play very will with others.....but please guys, just watch the bashing
Thanks
Fredito
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:51 am

I am 100% the same was when people ask me where i hunt i will give them a genral area to start but i didnt spend the thousands of dollars in gas scouting to let them know the exact spot that isnt fair to me i have even had people follow me in the mornings but anyways i got my stuff out so have fun in 12 days people i am going scouting
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:09 pm

I'm sick of people from the densly populated areas saying that "there are no crowds in Montana". I'm glad I don't live where you folks came from because I'd go crazy. There are crowds here, and if you haven't paid your dues you should be forced to hunt amidst them. The quality of hunting is diminishing at a rate inversly proportional to the increase in housing costs brought on by Californians moving here. Montana sucks. Stay wherever you are now, and for God's sake don't expect me to tell you where to hunt, because I might lead you to a prarie pothole that is a two mile walk from your SUV, and that pothole WON'T HAVE ANY WATER IN IT this year.
Troutslayer
hunter

hot spots in W MT

Postby nevertooearly » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:47 am

I've been reading the duck chat the past couple of years in western montana. Up around the Upper Stillwater, my lab, now passed, and I had to look hard for birds, but eventually found our spot. My current spot up on the Res. is known, but not so known that I don't chat with those who know to see how the birds are moving. I might not shoot a limit every day, but I find a lot of jump shooting spots from those I share with. For the most part, I am always paranoid enough to rise early enough to hit my blind before others arrive.
nevertooearly
Newb

Postby Hart » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:35 pm

I guess it's one of those catch 22s. Heck I'd like to share all my spots with everyone but if I did they wouldn't be good spots anymore. Most times the key to finding those great spots is finding those areas that don't get a lot of preasure. If I share the spot the preasure increases and away go the birds. Most of the places Hutch and I hunt require major effort and some very specialized gear. The effort required to hunt a spot sometimes protects it by reducing the preasure. The old school equation of effort being in direct proportion to reward certainly applies to waterfowl hunting. If you want great hunting spots then go out and find them. Don't ask me or anyone else to give them to you. Go out and earn it. You'll appreciate it more in the long run. The other side of the coin is this. I would have never met Hutch if I was selfish about OUR most special spot of all. You see we both showed up to hunt the same spot a few years back on the last day of the season. I happened to get there a little earlier. There isn't enough room for two groups of hunters so we talked and decided to hunt together. That decision has resulted in a lot of good times and great hunts. I'll take a good friend over a great hunting spot any day. God Bless and good hunting to everyone this year, Mark
:salude:
Hart
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting