Duck Hunting Forum banner

Rattle Snakes

3K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  phutch30 
#1 ·
After this past week with mild temps, the rattle snakes are out in full force in central Montana. I ran in to 8 over the weekend out working dogs. Just sayn.

#7 ·
I was just yanking your collective chains.

I just got back from a 3 day turkey hunt with phutch30, and we only saw a couple bull snakes. That is my grand total experience of time spent in Montana.

I am terrified of snakes, but told Paul I'd stir up the MT forum a bit.

#8 ·
Dan, your not JUST terrified of snakes, your terrified of broken fan belts and the possiblity of bull snakes jumping into the truck :yes: That was a fun turkey hunt man!

#9 ·
In their defense, I spent a CONSIDERABLE amount of time driving around rattlesnake country for 3 days last week trying to find them a rattler.....mostly cuz they kept filling thier turkey tags so fast.. and we only found a 4 1/2' and 3' bull snake but the rattlers were scarce. Im so ashamed that I failed.

#10 ·
phutch30 said:
Dan, your not JUST terrified of snakes, your terrified of broken fan belts and the possiblity of bull snakes jumping into the truck :yes: That was a fun turkey hunt man!
Don't forget garden hoses...those look like snakes too

#11 ·
And it's ok that we didn't see any rattle snakes as I'm 150% certain that I would've been bitten directly in the nutsack if we had.

#12 ·
You would have been fine cowering in the truck..."I got to mess with the snake Gene" would have prob been bitten. shoulda let him mess with the one that was as big as my forearm and really aggressive.lol

#13 ·
Take him to 'California Point", the parking lot on the Madison River. Head up river on the trail. Just as you get around the corner, to where you are staring into the Beartrap, walk up the hill a few feet. Freakin rattlesnake heaven! I was fishin there a few years ago, and got out of the river to head back to my car before it got to dark. Fat rattler on the trail, so I headed uphill to give him some space. Took about 15 steps uphill, and counted 11 rattlers without moving my feet. I literally peed a little. Headed back to the river, and waded downstream ( a no-no) all the way back to the parking lot. I'm a little queasy just remembering that day. Caught some real pigs that day, but I can't make myself go back.

#14 ·
We were in an area that is very well populated with rattlesnakes. I was more than suprised with the amount of travling we did looking we didnt see any.

#16 ·
You do look A LOT like Steve Erwin

Ill box up and ship ya the next one I run across......unless I have Dans address. Either way one of you will be gettin a live rattlesnake in the mail at some point this summer.

#19 ·
I hope you get bitten in the nutsack by a rattlesnake while trying to catch a fan-belt snake on the side of the road.

#21 ·
I'm terrified of snakes and I almost pissed myself when ^^this guy^^ pulls over on the side of the road, bails out, grabs a busted fan-belt off the shoulder of the road and threw it at me in the back seat.

It would have been funnier if the belt hadn't tried to bite me.

#25 ·
Good thing you boys didn't bring your golf clubs.
I had a 4' Bull Snake crawl over my shoes on Thursday.
I wasn't spooked until the guy I was golfing with
started screaming like a little girl. I just guided it
away with my club and go on it's way. I'm not
such a fan of rattlers though.
Sounds like you guys had fun though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.