Want to hunt Montana

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Want to hunt Montana

Postby JMR2 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:42 am

Hi I am from nc and wanted to hunt Montana without spending money I don't have . I was wondering if you us could point me in the right direction ?
JMR2
hunter

Re: Want to hunt Montana

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:53 pm

I'd stay away from visa and mastercard, they're accepted pretty much everywhere and both will allow you to spend more than you have.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:59 pm

Best advice you're going to get! :hammer:
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:59 pm

Just for kicks...how far is it to Montana from where you live?
:welcome:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:13 pm

Attachments
internet-scouting-300x171.jpg
internet-scouting-300x171.jpg (19.83 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby RNT~DuckCaller » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:23 am

Why do I get the feeling your not from nc?
RNT~DuckCaller
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:00 pm

This site is the world headquarters for NC e-scouters.
Hang out until November and start counting license plates. :grooving:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby JMR2 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:29 pm

that's cool I didn't realize you guys were going to be a bunch of jerks about trying to find public land on I am from North Carolina for a place called Concord North Carolina we have Charlotte Motor Speedway right here in our town work for Duke Energy has a distribution lineman and I always wanted to come up to Montana to big game hunt but I also want to put a day or two a duck hunting in I don't like to pay for a bunch of money for guides I only want to hunt public land if I can help it if you guys don't want to let me know where your honey hole is I understand just looking for a good place to center myself to do some public land hunting if you don't believe me send me a friend request on facebook. I would also like to know if you're over the counter for duck hunting as well as big game hunting and what your seasons are if you could help me. Also it would probably help if you had my full name john rowland so you can look me up on Facebook ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Last edited by JMR2 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
JMR2
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Here you go, .,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., extra periods and comma's. Feel free to borrow some, probably even go ahead and keep some.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby JMR2 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:50 pm

I'm sorry that my text to speech on my phone did not give any commas your superior intellect is noted now is anybody going to help me?
JMR2
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:30 am

My superior intellect is say's that if you were to get a map, locate public land, and find a pond or river you will more then likely find ducks. Whether that turns out to be one duck or one thousand ducks usually depends on how much time you spend scouting that public land. Not sure how scouting is done in North Carolina but in Montana it's best done by filling your truck up with fuel, grabbing a case of beer and some slim jim's and driving around looking. Scouting is not cheap, slim jim prices have gone through the roof lately, so why would the guy's who have invested money and ton's of time to find a spot want to give out the location to a internet scouter? Then when he show's up there is the internet scouter plus five guy's who also read about it already set up on top of each other and the guy who did all the work is up a chocolate brown, smelly river without a paddle.
Hope this helps, if I can be of any more assistance please let me know. I am always looking for a excuse to exercise my superior intellegence.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:33 am

What's a guide for a day...$150. Seems like if you are spending $600 + on fuel to get there and back, $150 wouldn't be a big deal. But hey, that's just me.
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Lawdog » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Good grief this started badly. Ask specific questions and you may get better answers. But, if this group thinks you're internet scouting, then good luck.

Guys, if he asks good questions, try to help.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby pmahler » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:54 am

I disagree. do some research yourself instead of going the easy route...welcome to generation handouts. The number of dudes on here who ask that exact question is ridiculous & it gets old
pmahler
hunter

Postby JMR2 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:01 pm

I am looking for you what part of the state is better. What your season dates are when's the best time for the to run to plan a tripwhat are some of the bigger bodies of water where should I look to field on those kind of things.do I have to bring a boat where can I hunt from the shore ,what type of clothes I may need to bring that I wouldn't have because of hunting in the southeast. And by the way you don't know what generation from who I am what I work for what I have apparently you have a little bit of both inferiority complex to have to hide behind a computer and talk smack I have not been rude anybody on here I have not asked anybody where there honey holes are to take me hunting I'm just looking for some good ideas where to start to begin to plan a trip up there hunt.
JMR2
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:26 pm

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/seasons/
http://fwp.mt.gov/fishAndWildlife/wma/freezoutLake/wildlifeViewing.html
1000's acres of public land camp spots and LOTS of ducks and geese and FREE....
60% of all the ducks shot in Montana come off "Freezout"
Sorry about the run around apparently there NOT from Montana.
:thumbsup:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby loner » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:07 pm

that last response from jmr2 made me dizzy just reading it. there's proof some people don't read what they write!
loner
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:07 am

[quote=
60% of all the ducks shot in Montana come off "Freezout"[/quote]

???? I would love to see where that stat came from, but since I have never hunted freezeout I think it would be a wonderful spot for our new friend to head to. There are 147,046 square miles of land in Montana, to say that 60 percent of our birds come off one spot is interesting to say the least.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:50 am

I think it was supposed to read 60% of all the duck hunters in the state hunt freezeout.

Ray- You'll get to experiance it this fall when we are up there swan hunting and people are shooting at literally everything that flys and you sit there saying to yourself "surely they are not shooting at THOSE birds.....and then realize that in fact they are shooting at those birds that are flying by at 150 yards and based on everyone emptying thier shotguns they in fact expect to actually kill one.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Large tracts of Montana doesn't have any duck hunting ,per say.
For public land hunting it's not a bad destination. One of the main stops for the snow geese and swans. People don't bother us much, we just put the mud boat in to the ditches and run out to were most hunters can't get ... :lol3: :grooving: When the hunting sucks we brake out the bows and shoot carp by the hundreds. At night you can spot light coyotes!!!
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:56 am

Such requests for guidance are not always met with sarcasm. But let's look at this situation. You sign up as a brand new member on this site and your very first post is "where do I hunt"? I wish I had a buck for every time someone was helped in this fashion on this site or on Refuge Forums, never to be heard from again. Get on, get what you need, fade away.

I also wish I had a buck for every long-term, contributing member of these online communities who, when traveling outside their home area, has been shown the way by fellow forum members. Key difference being tenure and having a history of receiving and giving as part of long-term participation. I have made some good friends from other states by helping them put together a successful vacation hunt on public ground. They would do the same for me.

I guess the attitude of many guys on this board, including me, is "screw me once, shame on you...screw me twice, shame on me". Not to mention the perceived shortcut you are seeking in gathering intel. Yes, it is tough to jump in your truck and drive from NC to scout an upcoming trip. But there is a lot of information publicly available on the net and available on these forums (if you spend the time to go back in time). You are taking an easy (dare I say lazy) route and that ruffles feathers.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:08 pm

It would have been better if you had stated where in the state you were going to be big game hunting and what time of year. These two things will make a huge difference as different areas of the state are better during parts of the fall. It also takes about 9 hrs to drive across the state so it makes a bit of a difference where your starting.

If you spend any time looking around while big game hunting you shouldnt find it difficult to find ducks. They are pretty common here.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting