Hatch Update

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Hatch Update

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Since I was out of state for work this spring (and winter) haven't been out to the property to see how the ducks are doing. Finally was out there in end of June. The usual mallard is there with her ducklings. But the good news is my first brood of wood ducks. Guess I will need to get some boxes installed so more can nest next year. I have seen a few wood duck broods in the upper clark fork but this is the first time I have ever seen them around my place. Floated the river saturday morning and saw at least 5 broods of mallard ducklings. Always interesting having the hen flail around on the water in front of the raft so you wont notice the ducklings scrambling the other direction. Saw teal, wigeon, goldeneyes and of course mergs. Odd thing this year is the increase in gulls. Warm springs ponds has more and more nesting. Saw one fly by with some baby bird in it beak as it just raided a nest. All duck broods seen had minimum 7 ducklings in each. Hope many survive and there will be more birds in the sky come opener. May have to get a couple wood duck dekes if there are more in the valley. Have seen more last couple years. But with more nesting this is a good sign their numbers are growing.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Re: Hatch Update

Postby phutch30 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:26 pm

DU just put out the forcast. 6% less overall from last year. But 6% is pretty tough to measure. Looks like a good wideon year
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:50 pm

phutch30 wrote:DU just put out the forcast. 6% less overall from last year. But 6% is pretty tough to measure. Looks like a good wideon year

Lots of BWT in the northeast, should be fun for a couple weeks! Also seeing lots of wedgies!
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:36 pm

Had the game cam set up low along the game trail. This spot is also the shortest distance between the sloughs and the river. Among the photos of deer and beavers, got photos of two separate hens mallards with their young going back and forth. One had five left and the other only two. Guess the one with five is the old lady that comes back every year and the one with two is a new girl. No photos of the wood ducks though they usually stay way back in the thick brush and trees of the slough.

Did have a skunk on the cam too. Also saw my first mink out there last month. It was a mom with two young cruising the river bank. With all the predators glad to see some of the ducks making it this far along and ready to head south.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting