Opening Weekend

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Opening Weekend

Postby Deadpair » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:22 am

How did everyone do? I hunted Western Montana (No specifics on location) saw lots of birds. I didn't get a chance to scout before opening day. We did kill 6 birds between the 3 of us. Mostly mallards, although we had one widgeon and a green winged teal. It was one of the most memoriable hunting experiences I will ever have though. My girlfriend shot her first bird (the teal)! She is still excited today and can't wait to go again! A woman who is very attractive and likes to hunt, clean and eat waterfowl. Wow, I'm a lucky man!
I saw thousands of birds on the move in the early hours of Saturday. Redheads, Mallards, Widgeon, Teal, Gadwalls, and Canadian Geese. Looks like to me the migration of early birds( redheads, teal) is underway. Numbers seem to be good. From what I saw saturday compared to past openers I'd say we're 10 days ahead of a normal season/migration. Not a lot of shooting in the area I was hunting. I think that was due to 80 degree blue bird weather.
I have a good friend who also hunts in Western Montana (again no specifics) they scouted on Friday with great returns on Saturday.... they limited on Drake Mallards. Scouting always makes the difference!
I'd enjoy hearing on how some of you did around the state. Strictly numbers of birds, species, and migrations ( no specific locations) (West, Central and Eastern Montana are more than enough) Hope you all did well. I'm heading out tomorrow to do a blast and cast. I'll let you know how we do.
Deadpair
hunter

Postby marcbme » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:08 pm

Did great here, 1 gh and 1 gadwall (I'm the worst hunter in the Montana forum). I was happy though.
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:36 pm

I done good. Opening day 4 greenies, 1 suzie, 1 gaddy and one shovler (doh!) also 1 honker. Today (Sunday): 1 green wing teal, 1 redhead and 5 widgeon. This was the toughest opener I've seen and while there were a lot of birds around I worked way harder then ever before to get them, my spread was all wrong for the wind in the AM and had to move it. Didn't seem to be that many people shooting and the ones that were were skybusting and not getting anything. I saw very few people with a lot of birds in hand. I started off shooting nothing but green and had I kept that up I would have ended up with 4 birds.

My dog remembered everything, never missed a bird, never made me mad and she retrieved a bunch of birds for my friend also. He got a bunch: some gadwalls, mallards and a blue wing teal.

All in all I think that things will improve when the weather changes. Is it October or what? It was freaking hot in the blind and I didn't bring any camo that wasn't some sort of a winter parka. My waders are neoprene for God's sake. Packed all the birds in a cooler with ice until we got home. Hope everyone else had fun as well.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:36 pm

I only hunted Sat. There were three of us and we ended up with 17 birds, mostly greenwing teal with a couple widgeon, a gad and a greenhead. It was tough hunting. We passed up some teal early and missed a few. In fact, I had one 5 or 6 shot hitless streak that had me wondering what was up ( I think Hart slipped me some blanks), I shot well after I settled down though. Hart was his usuall dead eye...except for one 3 shot barrage. The birds we had scouted never showed up and we didnt seem to be where the remaining ducks wanted to be. We did somehow manage to pass up about 200 easy shots at every $#%& type of merganser that lives in the pacific flyway though. Man, we were set up on fish duck central. I am sure I saw more fish ducks on Sat than I have seen in the last 5 hunting seasons combined. Big ones,little ones , medium sized ones and some none of us could identify. It was crazy. Because I am a nice hunting companion I offered first crack at them to Hart and Matt but for some reason they declined. Anyway it wasnt a steller opener. And man was it hot. It went from Skim ice in the dark to sweating your you know whats off. Oh well Still 112 days to go. And Mark just remember this. "This aint my first rodeo" and the ever imfamous " we're hunting over there and we're gunna be lit". Dumbasses
phutch30
hunter

WOW

Postby fun4jake » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:10 pm

thats gotta be the first time I have heard of that you guys did not limit out. Did mark look at his gun like the once last year. You know its always the guns fault. Sounds like a good time though. I did not get out. Its a long sad story I'll share in private.

OH yeah, I had to go to some guys wedding on opening day, Must of not been a duck hunter, oh wait it wasn't Freds wedding, he would never do that. :umm:
fun4jake
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:37 pm

In truth we could have limited out. But in the beginning we were waiting on big ducks. By the time we decided if it flys it dies.....well it was just too late to recover. Oh well there are alot of birds out there with our number on them.
phutch30
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:10 pm

arent you supposed to be working? :yes:
fun4jake
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:56 pm

Ya, but I have an in with this computer guy I know. See, I get him to clean up my official computer use log in exchange for taking him duck hunting. So I think the question to you Jeff is why arent YOU working?
phutch30
hunter

Postby Fredito » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:25 pm

This is my tax dollars at work.....oh well I dont have any room to talk either!!!
Fredito
hunter

work

Postby fun4jake » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:00 am

I am working , I am monitoring the internet for inappropriate use and happen to be checking this site. All seems well so far.

Hey put your feet down it looks like you are surfing phutch.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby Fredito » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:55 am

I am glad to have someone like Jeff to be watching over all of us and keeping us safe.....
Fredito
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:37 pm

Ya doesnt he just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
phutch30
hunter

Postby dukkilr6 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:49 pm

Any reports from the Bighorn?
dukkilr6
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting