Fun weekend

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Fun weekend

Postby phutch30 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:38 am

Had a good weekend of duckin

Yesterday was a gaddie day. I am pretty sure I could have shot 7 gads easy. I ended up with 4 gads, 2 drake mallards, a drake widgeon and a goose. I should have had two geese but poped up a little early and only caught the front of the flock in range. Lots of bluewings and shovlers flying around. I mean hundreds and hundreds.I could have shot 300 bluewings and another truck load of shovelers.Over the course of the morning I saw alot of birds arriving from the north. I watched one flock of some kind of puddle duck about 500+ strong spiral down out of the stratosphere.I also saw 8-10 other big groups drop in.

Today started off bad. I was half way to my blind when I realized I left my layout back at the house. So I had to turn around and go get it. Lots of widgeon today. I ended up with 4 widgeon,1 drake mallard, 2 gads and a goose. I should have had two drake mallards but missed an easy shot. I was home by 10. Not as many bluewings and shovlers around today but they were still there.
phutch30
hunter

Postby marcbme » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:02 pm

Bro, his step-son, and I went out to our honey hole Sat and did really well! Seven total, including the young guy's first and second birds ever!

Didn't get anything because I was more focused on calling (I'm the only one who knows how to do it) and working my lab on his first hunt also.

Out of 7 ducks he got 6 almost without help. Including one live retreive and one lost in the timber and found without any aid. The seventh was dropped almost on top of his head so he didn't need to retrieve. I have never been prouder of a mutt in my life. He did all this with nearly NO training on my part (been busier then micheal jackson at a scout jamboree, this summer)

Went out and got a cap gun at wally world, the shot guns made him flinch pritty good, but he still didn't freak out.

Shaping up to be a GREAT season!
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:52 pm

There seem to be a lot of birds around. The estimates don't lie. Horray! I have more birds in the freezer than I can eat for a while, and we've had duck and goose every day for the last week. Tried some recipe today that I saw in the cooking forum: wrapping chunks of duck in pepperocinis and then bacon, putting them on a skewer and grilling. Good stuff. I could have shot a limit today while fishing, but alas, no need to be gluttonous, their day will come...
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Deadpair » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:48 am

Western Montana:

I scouted on Friday and it made all the difference compared to last week. My girlfriend and I shot 11 birds on Saturday and 10 birds on Sunday. All the birds were mallards except for 1 greenwigned teal on Saturday. Lots of birds around. Lots of bluewinged teal, widgeon, redheads and mallards. Should have shot two geese but we were just picking up and 2 cans passed 15 yards over the top of us. It always seems that birds do that to you when your picking up.
Deadpair
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:01 am

My wife and I went to Metcalf Sunday afternoon just to pass some time and enjoy the outdoors. Saw a few ducks flying around, but as usual they all showed up after sunset. Really good numbers of ducks flying the Bitterroot area. Had a few nice shots we passed on, definatly a lot of pressure at Metcalf (no duh) so need to do a little more scouting. It was a great day just to enjoy the sights and sounds and pretend we were hunting.

Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby K-Town » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:19 pm

We went to Benton lake NWR this weekend, and it was loaded with gadwals, teal, mallards, pintails, redheads and spoonies. A good front from the north came in on Friday night, and the number of birds was night and day. It was even holding a couple thousand honkers too. As always, G-Falls had honkers everywhere.
K-Town
hunter

Saturday

Postby fun4jake » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:46 am

Went out Saturday with a new hunter. Got 4 gads and 3 widgeon and he got 3 gads all by about 9am. Good day out. The dog did great. Only problem is the dog gained more weight than me over the summer. His vest is about 2 inches from fitting.
fun4jake
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting