stupid new guy questions

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Postby Duck Runner » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:59 pm

$100 per day per person or group? If it's $100 per day a group then I say we get a forum hunt together and make sure we get the moneys worth. Ha ha!

Seems to me there is something wrong with charging people to cross private land to hunt on public land/water. Might want to contact the Mont FW&P and get some information about that. Seems there would have to be an easement somewhere for people to access it.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby geotreb » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:02 pm

I'm not sure if it's the group or the individual charge... I was sort of blasted away by the amount to fully grasp it.

But if the group, I'm all about having a group forum hunt :)

Well, I know there's lots of public land inholding that require permission to get to - and that permission doesn't even have to be given too if there is not public way to cross the land.

Trust me, there is no public road or way to get into this reservoir (unless you want to wade 2+ miles to it via the creek bottom, that's probably has barbed wire splattered across it in at least 8 spots. Doesn't that sound like fun, with a full load of decoys?

No easement, no nothing. You've got to cross this guy's cattle pasture to get in there....

Anyhow, maybe I will mention this to the FWP - though I doubt they can do anything about it. Seems a joke that no one can access the public land. I did remind the guy that most of the reservoir was surrounded by BLM land, but he kind of brushed that off, as if it didn't really count.

Any good people to talk to about this?

I
geotreb
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:08 pm

Let's charter a helicopter in there. Full load of dekes, four guys, some dogs. We'll go in there and camp for a week or so, and kill everything in there, just for posterity. It would probably cost more than the $100 each but it would be fun right?
Troutslayer
hunter

Previous

Return to Montana Duck Hunting