Back to hunting Ducks...where to go?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Back to hunting Ducks...where to go?

Postby duckhntr26 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:11 am

I am looking for some good spots to hunt ducks in Eastern Montana. I live in Roundup and haven't hunted ducks in a few years. I lived in california for a few years and they have a great system of State and Fed waterfowl hunting areas. Are there any of those types of place in Montana. I am not looking for your honey holes. I just would like a place where there might be other hunters to help push the birds around. I have been hunting some field and spots down on the Musselshell but the birds won't decoy and sit in the fields I don't have access to. Any advice would be appreciated.
duckhntr26
Newb

Postby bullelkklr » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:11 pm

I grew up in roundup...visited last weekend. The musselshell is hard to hunt consistently...

there are some ponds North of the highway that hold some birds - but as you are finding - not a lot. There are some public ground areas towards Forsyth. I believe that the FWP has some listings for them - some are walk in, but most you have to call to reserve - the good ones are right on or very near the Yellowstone.

You can find land ownership maps on the web at http://nris.mt.gov/gis/ownmaps.asp

this will help for calling and getting permission to hunt...a lot of the better areas are being leased out and you can't get on them.

There is a small group of canadians by the sewage ponds on #4 just outside of town - i think that the city leases that land to the guy that lives just across the bridge on #4...not positive though, you could stop and check with them. Those birds would be gimmies.

I went out west of great falls last year and there are a bunch of birds in that area..but it is a ways to travel.

Randy
bullelkklr
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting