Back to hunting Ducks...where to go?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Back to hunting Ducks...where to go?

Postby duckhntr26 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:11 am

I am looking for some good spots to hunt ducks in Eastern Montana. I live in Roundup and haven't hunted ducks in a few years. I lived in california for a few years and they have a great system of State and Fed waterfowl hunting areas. Are there any of those types of place in Montana. I am not looking for your honey holes. I just would like a place where there might be other hunters to help push the birds around. I have been hunting some field and spots down on the Musselshell but the birds won't decoy and sit in the fields I don't have access to. Any advice would be appreciated.
duckhntr26
Newb

Postby bullelkklr » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:11 pm

I grew up in roundup...visited last weekend. The musselshell is hard to hunt consistently...

there are some ponds North of the highway that hold some birds - but as you are finding - not a lot. There are some public ground areas towards Forsyth. I believe that the FWP has some listings for them - some are walk in, but most you have to call to reserve - the good ones are right on or very near the Yellowstone.

You can find land ownership maps on the web at http://nris.mt.gov/gis/ownmaps.asp

this will help for calling and getting permission to hunt...a lot of the better areas are being leased out and you can't get on them.

There is a small group of canadians by the sewage ponds on #4 just outside of town - i think that the city leases that land to the guy that lives just across the bridge on #4...not positive though, you could stop and check with them. Those birds would be gimmies.

I went out west of great falls last year and there are a bunch of birds in that area..but it is a ways to travel.

Randy
bullelkklr
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting