weekend summary

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

weekend summary

Postby nelli21 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:46 pm

hey yall lets here about your weekend expeditions. no need for location but lets hear a sttory or two. My buudies and I got into some heavy blue winged teal action last weekend. we used a good box of duck loads. (dont worry we are not that good of shot) we ended up with a couple limits. I am looking forward to this weekend. Hopefully this cold weather pushes a few more birds down. (i guess we will see) Good luck and God Bless
until next time
nelli21
hunter

Postby marcbme » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:49 am

I got my first limit Monday afternoon! Found a nice spot that held quite a few spoonies, got my layout boat out and really hammered 'em. Plus, got a few coots and am going to try them.

So far this has ben the best season ever!
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby quackymcquackster » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:47 am

saturday found me at a place loaded with ducks, but with no means of retrieval. really frusturating. i'm going back, but this time with an inflatable boat type thing.

on sunday, i too, scored a couple teals. one blue, one green. got a couple roosters in the process. blue teals are supposed to be among the first to migrate, so i'd expect that the others will be showing up soon, yes? that is, if we're all hitting the teals.

dreamed last nite that i was just walking up to ducks and ringing their necks. didnt have to shoot them. but then i collected more than my limit, and got paranoid.

i think the next blue teal i get i'm going to stuff it. they sure are purty!

[/img]
quackymcquackster
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:10 am

been :hammering: them this year, so far 3 duck limits and one goose limit. Mostly greenheads, except when I hunt water and then I was getting a few gwt and bwt, although I usually passed on them in search of green.

So far I've been able to get out 10 times or so and having good success each time :thumbsup: Just gotta put in an equal amount of time scouting and then the hunts are MUCH better.

We are thick with migrators down here and they have been here for almost a month (mallards). You guys up in MT must have some migrators there now and have for a while cause down here on the Southern MT/ID border we have um in good numbers. I fear we will lose some birds in the next week as much of their roosting water will freeze soon. Hopefully we get some new flights soon after, but I am sure we won't equal what we have now...gotta love it while it lasts :salude:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:04 am

Headed out in the morning with the father-in-law. Should be good. I am going to do a quick morning hunt on sat also. Lots of birds around. I was antelope hunting this past weekend but still managed to drop a few redheads while chaseing goats. We also picked up 8 mallards and 2 widgeon on the way home.
phutch30
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:27 am

did good last weekend. Got a limit of Mallards and 2 gads. A couple of the mallards were northern birds so that is a good sign. This weekend should be good but gots to go chase an Elk and a deer so save some for me.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:22 pm

Ya baby the forcast for tomorrow is wet and windy. I forsee lots of puddlers cupped and commited headed for a date with a load of #4's.
phutch30
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:19 pm

I'm jealous, I will be at work staring at this website wishing I was out hunting. Good luck and leave a couple for the rest of us.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:44 pm

If you want to play hookie give me a call tonight.
phutch30
hunter

Postby nelli21 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:40 pm

Sounds good guys man those picture you guys are putiing on here of your trips look so awesome. Nice big game. this weekend me and some buddies will be in a wheat field that Geese have been resting in for the last week. We have the permission so now we need to go. I dont want to get my hopes up but it looks to be an easy limiter. (But thats not what its about is it?) well keep your eyes open for the migrators they haft to be coming in thick sooner or later the weathers a changin boys. Gey out and get em. Good luck to all of you and God Bless

Until next time.....Nelli :thumbsup: :salude:
nelli21
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:34 pm

My hunt was a bust. We shot 5 birds in 4 hours and only saw about 50 total ducks. I just spoke with hart and he is about an hour into a hunt and has 6 birds. So someplaces are rockin just not my places.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:51 pm

Well I am clearly the worst hunter in here then. I've been out 3 times and havn't even fired a shell yet. Had plenty of chances, but just havn't pulled the trigger yet. Heck, even my wife popped of a shot. :yes: It's hammer time, this weekend I MUST shoot the gun at some waterfowl. :hammering: If you guys are across the marsh and see a lot of shooting and no birds falling then come say hi. :tounge: Go get 'em this weekend. Looks like things are picking up.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby fun4jake » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:54 pm

thank goodness I did not play hookie, oh well I would of had a good time anyway.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:30 pm

Jeff-No you wouldnt have. Trust me it was as dead as I have ever seen. We had 8 birds total work the decoys. in 4 hours.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting