WPA's revisited

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

WPA's revisited

Postby quackymcquackster » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:20 pm

Does anyone know of a resource that lists Montana's WPA's and where they are located?

I have been in email contact with the USFWS and they are incredibly confused about what I am looking for. They are talking about pulling microfiche and all this other nonsense, when all I am looking for is a way to find out WHERE the WPA's in Montana ARE, and their NAMES.

Seems like an easy enough query, but apparently not.

Is there another place I could look? And I've tried all over fwp.mt.gov, but it's not under their management so there isnt hardly anything.

The best they have turned up so far are counties that have WPA's, and that's pretty useless. Counties are big. MONTANA is big.

Thanks for any help!
quackymcquackster
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:14 pm

If by WPA you mean waterfowl production areas, call MT fish wildlife and parks and they will give you the list. Other than a couple of federal waterfowl refuges the other WPA are state run.

Just off the top of my head I only can think of 4 waterfowl areas in the state. Plus Red Rocks, Bowdin which are USFWS. There is also nine pipes which I think is USFW. why are you focused on WPA's. In my opinion the hunting isnt that great on most of them due to the crowds. Better huntng is to be had with some local scouting or by scouring the block management booklets. JMO
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting