bad juju

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

bad juju

Postby quackymcquackster » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:29 pm

that makes twice now that i've been out shooting with my boss and he's lost birds. each time, we werent able to bag any after the birds were lost.

it must be instant karma.
quackymcquackster
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:20 pm

Sounds like you should get a dog, or a better dog. You shouldn't be out there shooting birds if you are unable to retrieve them.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:06 pm

Remember that the birds still count towards your bag limit if you can not retrieve them. Also, be sure you make a reasonable attempt at retrieving the birds, otherwise it is considered wanton waste.

A good thing to do is have one person stay at the 'blind' and mark where the bird goes down and the other person go to that spot. You can keep a visual on the location you last saw the bird. Often times when you both walk to the spot you can lose the actual location and then you might end us searching for awhile. Wait until the first person arrives and then the marker can go help. Doesn't always work, but I have found it to be a relatively effective way to retrieve birds when they fly 100 yards and then fall.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby quackymcquackster » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:04 pm

yeah I helped him dig through cattails and brush for the better part of an hour in the spot where he said he saw it fall. meanwhile ducks flying overhead. it was pretty awesome for sure. helping him look for them while blowing chances at birds that I'D like to shoot. and then he claims one 'ran' away. would it be ironic to call that a wild goose chase? lol.

my wife's stepdad and I use the marking method that you mentioned. works pretty well. unfortunately my boss and I dont have that kind of communication skill yet. go figure.

anyways, thanks for the tip. a dog would be nice. unfortunately just dont have the resources. i'd take a loaner if anyone's got one.
quackymcquackster
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting