Intro and some hunt photos...

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Intro and some hunt photos...

Postby Ed Caffrey » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:06 pm

Just found this forum. WOW! Finally a group in MT.! My name is Ed Caffrey. I'm located in Great Falls. I'm retired from the MT. Air National Guard, and now operate my own business as a full time Bladesmith/Knifemaker. I'm one of approx. 100 American Bladesmith Society Mastersmiths in the world.

Most of my waterfowl hunting is done at either Freezeout, near Fairfield, or Benton Lake Wildelife refuge just north of Great Falls. Without a boat it's tough, but a couple of times every year I hunt the Missouri River with friends when the lakes/ponds freeze up.

My last couple of trips have been very good. Hunted on Benton Lake last night and dropped 4 ducks. Last Saturday (21 Oct), my dog Hammer and I had a great day at Freezeout....

The swan weighed in at 24 1/2lbs. Hammer is only 84 lb, and the little guy actually got the swan all the way back to my side! Good Boy!
Ed Caffrey, ABS Mastersmith
"The Montana Bladesmith"
Ed Caffrey
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:44 pm

Welcome Ed! Great to have you join us. I am looking forward to getting over near Great Falls in the next few weeks and getting a swam myself. Good looking dog, and if he'll retrieve a swan then he's a mighty good dog!! Welcome, and post often.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:55 pm

Welcome to the site. Id like to order one of your Engraved Mosaic Damascus Folders but they are a little out of my ability. Man are they awsome looking knives though. Excellent job.
phutch30
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:04 pm

Man your Damascus steel is just amazing.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Ed Caffrey » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:56 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I need to apologize for putting my webiste in my signature block...... I read the rules of the forum but just put it there out of habit....wasn't meaning to advertise!

Hammer had a tough time with that bird! First he tried to grab it by the body, and when that didn't work he went for the base of the neck...he looked like one of those guys in the world's strongest man comp...grunting and straining to pick the thing up. When he got it back to me an heeled, he dropped it and looked up at me as if to say "Man! What the heck is that!?"

Anyway, if anybody is going to Freezeout to chase swans, drop me an email and I can put you in the right spot!
Ed Caffrey, ABS Mastersmith
"The Montana Bladesmith"
Ed Caffrey
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:12 am

Ed, great to have you on board! It is good to have a GF boy here :yes:

Nice swan!!! I forgot to put in this year I need to bag my first one...next year I guess :salude:

I hope to end up out in your neck of the woods within the next 5-10 years (I gotta get the job transfer I want so it might take a while). I wanna end up in one of the small towns on the highline or nearabouts Fort Benton, Chester, Conrad, ect, ect.... It might take a while, but I'll get there eventually. Until then I gotta settle for shooting ducks in Idaho :toofunny: Can't wait to make it back home to MT though :thumbsup:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Deadpair » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:05 am

Welcome Ed, Great looking dog! Nice swan. Hope to get up your way soon and hunt some snows!
Deadpair
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting