Georgetown Lake Birds Die?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Georgetown Lake Birds Die?

Postby Troutslayer » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:12 pm

I was at Georgetown Lake today. The entire eastern shore is covered with dead and dying coots. A guy fishing told me that he heard from someone that they have some disease (not bird flu). I caught one and put it out of it's misery, but I saw others floundering around. I didn't see any other species dead there, only coots. Anyone know anything about this? Hopefully this is a localized and specie-specific phenomenon, still sad though.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Deadpair » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:16 pm

I've seen the same up in the Flathead valley. Not in large numbers, but I've seen a few dozen dead coots. I was slightly concerned but figured they died of natural causes. Should we maybe raise the question to FWP? I haven't seen any sick coots though... just dead ones. Any thoughts?
Deadpair
hunter

Postby marcbme » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:06 pm

I was just up at Browns and they are all healthy and swimmin'.....all accept the ones I hammered that is.
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby Fredito » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:11 pm

The latest press release said that it was some form of parasite that is not harmful to humans....but Im still not going to go coot hunting anytime soon :smile:
Fredito
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting