New Member!

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

New Member!

Postby RLWinston » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:07 pm

Hey all, I new to this forum. I've never been part of a forum before but what i have read here seems great. I've looked at some other forums and the guys just seemed like jerks. Its nice to see a place with so much info. AND see people acting like adults. Anyway, I was lucky enough to move to Missoula 4 yrs ago and have been adicted to bird hunting and fly fishing ever since. This season is extra exciting because my yellow lab moose is really starting to get the hang on things.
Question??? My biggest problem so far ( aside from my shooting which seems great one day and terrible the next) is finding good places to hunt. I usually hunt the river (Clark fork). By no means would i ask for people to give up hunting spots but am wondering where i can get a hold of some maps that may help in scouting some new spots?
-JP

also, thanks to everyone who makes this site possible!!
RLWinston
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:13 pm

Great to have another member to the forum! :welcome:

I think most of the guys around here would suggest starting out with this website. It has great information and should give you a good idea where to start. It's on my bookmarks!
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby marcbme » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:17 pm

FW&P on Spurgin has complete listings of all the wildlife managment areas. Even supply maps of them! Give that a try, I know I found a sweet honey hole using that method
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:32 pm

Hey sorry but youll have to leave. I have dibs on the name moose for a lab....well since he is a yellow lab I will let it slide. LOL

welcome
Last edited by phutch30 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phutch30
hunter

Postby kdangerfield » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:00 pm

I agree with Duck Runner on the link that he posted. I also use the topo maps found here - http://nris.state.mt.us/interactive.html - pretty extensively. I would also recommend contacting your local FWP office and getting a block management map.

Good Luck
Kelly Dangerfield
Wildlife and Landscape Artist
Bozeman, MT
kdangerfield
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:09 am

Block management definitely. I have been hunting a BM site for the last 2 years and have had great success. FWP will have all the details. Good luck on the mighty quest and Welcome aboard.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby Deadpair » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:52 am

If we continue to have cold weather like this...stick to the river all of the potholes will be frozen over.
Deadpair
hunter

Postby inthelips » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:32 pm

It is obvious that scouting and doing research is going to be your best best for finding birds, and hunting spots, anywhere you are.

I lived in Missoula for a few years in the late 90's and the best piece of advice I had received was "Black Mountain, a good map, and a great set of binoculars". I hope this helps you as well as it did me.
inthelips
hunter

Postby RLWinston » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:44 pm

Wow that was quick.....thanks for all the help/ideas guys. I was out on monday and saw some larger groups of greenheads flying. Hopefully this cold weather will be what we have been waiting for!
RLWinston
hunter

Postby RLWinston » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:46 pm

inthelips,
were you referring to blue mountain?
RLWinston
hunter

Postby inthelips » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:51 pm

Very close to Blue, but actually Black. Pull out your Gazetteer.
inthelips
hunter

Postby RLWinston » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:14 pm

Now i see. thanks!!
RLWinston
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting