Here to hunt!

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Here to hunt!

Postby Quackersmacker208 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Hey guys I posted a thread a couple months ago about moving to Helena, and I just got moved in this week! I plan on scouting for areas to duck/goose hunt all weekend and hope to find some solid spots before the season. I'd really like to meet some hunters in my area who would like to get after it this season with me, and having just moved here I don't know a soul. I have 3 doz full body ducks, two spinners, 2 dozen dakota floaters, a couple doz avain xs, and a layout...meaning I can contribute to whatever we're hunting. If anyone on here wants to show a new guy around or come scout with me this weekend shoot me a pm. I'll pay gas and am not afraid to put in windshield hours to anyone in other parts of the state! Look forward to chasing ducks and geese in the snow and getting to know everyone on the board!
Quackersmacker208
hunter

Re: Here to hunt!

Postby Bulldog0156 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

I'd start hitting the farms trying to get permission to hunt the fields. Might have to get your knees dirty though....
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby Quackersmacker208 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:06 pm

Haha yeah I plan on going out to chat with farmers..it's difficult because I haven't been here to know what field hold birds every year. In Oregon two fields can look identical but one will hold birds year in and year out while the other never gets touched. I hope you mean on my knees begging.. :rolleyes: :lol3:
Quackersmacker208
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:25 pm

Something like that. From what I've seen all the fields attract birds at some point during the season.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby tealdog » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:25 am

Quackersmacker208 wrote:Haha yeah I plan on going out to chat with farmers..it's difficult because I haven't been here to know what field hold birds every year. In Oregon two fields can look identical but one will hold birds year in and year out while the other never gets touched. I hope you mean on my knees begging.. :rolleyes: :lol3:

Where in Oregon did you hunt?
tealdog
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:39 pm

Quackersmacker208 wrote:Hey guys I posted a thread a couple months ago about moving to Helena, and I just got moved in this week! I plan on scouting for areas to duck/goose hunt all weekend and hope to find some solid spots before the season. I'd really like to meet some hunters in my area who would like to get after it this season with me, and having just moved here I don't know a soul. I have 3 doz full body ducks, two spinners, 2 dozen dakota floaters, a couple doz avain xs, and a layout...meaning I can contribute to whatever we're hunting. If anyone on here wants to show a new guy around or come scout with me this weekend shoot me a pm. I'll pay gas and am not afraid to put in windshield hours to anyone in other parts of the state! Look forward to chasing ducks and geese in the snow and getting to know everyone on the board!

I've been scouting a little bit so far this year. Tons of birds around so you shouldn't have a problem finding them. I don't hunt fields because I don't have any of the right gear, but I scout them around the valley just to see what's around, not to many birds using them heavily just yet but give it a month and a half or so and they'll move in on them more frequently. I work all weekend but if you Message me and I'll give you some areas to check out.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby Quackersmacker208 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:13 pm

tealdog wrote:
Quackersmacker208 wrote:Haha yeah I plan on going out to chat with farmers..it's difficult because I haven't been here to know what field hold birds every year. In Oregon two fields can look identical but one will hold birds year in and year out while the other never gets touched. I hope you mean on my knees begging.. :rolleyes: :lol3:

Where in Oregon did you hunt?

I hunted on the west side of the state between Corvallis and Eugene. Have you hunted Oregon?
Quackersmacker208
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:42 pm

I have. I lived/worked outa Sisters for 2 1/2 years. Did a little hunting in Central (east side of the cascades) but mainly hunted on the Columbia and lower Detchutes, Summer lake (joke) and a very little in NW corner.

Unlesss you had access to some great private ground, with the proper legwork, I think youll find the waterfowl hunting in MT better then in OR.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Beak-Breaker#1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:44 am

Quackersmaker, I to just moved from oregon to Bozeman this past weekend. I moved with my hunting trailer from The Dalles, so I'm ready for sept 28th. I've already scouted once and have some good leads on land owners down here in the gallitain valley. Shoot me a pm and we can chat about possibilities of hunting this fall/winter if you're interested.
Beak-Breaker#1
Newb

Return to Montana Duck Hunting