Dove

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Dove

Postby huntfishnv » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:56 pm

Been seeing a lot of them around, I checked on the fwp website because I have never heard of anyone hunting them in MT and there is a season for them. If we don't get a cold front before them I'm thinking about giving it a try, anybody on here hunt em?
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Re: Dove

Postby wingnutty » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:57 pm

I've hunted them in NE MT and in Idaho and Wisconsin. I can't hunt them on the flathead res, otherwise I would hunt them here too.

If you can find concentrations they are great! Doves need 3 things, (food, water, roost) find the limiting resource in your area and you might find doves. I've done well shooting over all three resources in different situations and I've shot limits in all 3 states. They are a heck of a good time :beer:

But most areas in western MT just dont have high enough concentrations to mess with, unfortunately, so I choose to chase mtn grouse on sept. 1st.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Wild Bob » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Don't hunt them...they are no fun. :wink:

I hear they are good to hunt down in the Dillion area. :lol3:
Wild Bob
hunter

Location: Some where east of the continental divide but west of Roughrider Country

Postby phutch30 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:22 am

I just shoot the collered versions outa my kids bird feeders.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:53 am

My hunting partners and I look foward to Dove Season every year and actively hunt them. They are great on the BBQ. It is also a good tune up for waterfowl season, decoys, odd angle shots, good time to resteady Muncher. We also do some walk up gunning keeping the dog at heel. Again a good tune up with some great eating to boot.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Opener is usually a toss up for dove. I don't target them but some years they use my place to roost so can sit in the trees for last hour of shoot time and get a couple as they come in. Last year was in a blind for archery deer and wish I had a shotgun as dozens of dove landed a few feet around me. Then a week later they were gone on their way to mexico. I remember amazing dove hunts in AZ when I was a kid. We would go out before class and shoot limits and make it to class by 8am. Some days pick out white wings as they were bigger and made for a challenging hunt. In AZ you could hunt them in the fall down in the desert. Jump tanks and get a couple ducks, get into a couple coveys of quail and then get the dove lying around too. Makes for a fun days hunt.

The colored dove are good for shooting year round. FWP even promotes shooting them. They are beginning to show in the clark fork valley. I have been told they are good eating. And give the option of year round shooting. I know my dad shoots a bunch in his backyard in AZ. They are much bigger and lighter meat than mourning dove. Either dove wrapped in bacon on the grill make for a good dinner.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Good stuff. I was out around deer lodge/anaconda today looked like good dove territory, and duck for that matter.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting