MOJO DUCKS

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

MOJO DUCKS

Postby nelli21 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:40 pm

hey guys I have a question I guess that is should research this better but are the Mojo electric decoys legal in Montana or are just the wind powered ones legal. if so do you guys have any recommendation for what to get. we are planning a big field hunt next weekend and I would like to get more movement than just the flag in the decoys. thanks and God bless

Nelli :help:
nelli21
hunter

Postby marcbme » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:57 pm

Both are legal
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby kdangerfield » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:56 pm

I have a Roboduk that I bought about 4 years ago and it is still going strong, I've also heard good things about the Mojo brand. I would highly recommend getting something with a remote control so you can turn it off and on from the blind. It is well worth the extra money.

I have found that under some circumstances, especially late in the season, they will flare ducks. I've also found that they often flare geese. It is helpful to be able to turn it off if you are working a flock of geese or if the ducks are flaring.

Good luck.
Kelly Dangerfield
Wildlife and Landscape Artist
Bozeman, MT
kdangerfield
hunter

Postby Fredito » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:15 pm

They are legal....but I use the wind powered ones....I dont know if you guys have seen them yet, but they got ones that flash white LED lights...I guess for the states where the batt ones are illegal
Fredito
hunter

Postby nelli21 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:49 pm

does anybody have suggestions or know if they are even worth it. right now if i am hunting water ill use the old puller decoy and it does the trick but i would like to get some more motion IF ITS WORTH paying for the MOJO or not. let me know any help is appreciated.

God Bless and Good Hunts
nelli21
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:51 pm

I have a wind powered one as well, but I have yet to use it since I moved to Montana. The birds are quick to commit and decoy much easier than I have previously experienced. I have used motor driven spinners as well and they are obviously more reliable than wind, but will put a bigger hole in the wallet. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the motor driven spinners. Good luck.

Are you going to be using goose decoys for the field hunt? I find that ducks don't need much more confidence than a dozen goose decoys. When I field hunt that is all I use.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby nelli21 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:07 pm

yeah i have 2 dozen of the green head gear flocked head goose decoys, but we will only put a dozen or so out. i would like to have the mojo for some water hunting as well. Does anyone have any pros/cons for the wind powered mojos, do they work most of the time or are they more of a hastle than reward? thanks again for the help. :smile:

one more thing for water has anyone used the quivering butt drake decoys?
nelli21
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:54 am

I use the airlucky wind powered one. I have used it for 2 years now and I like it. The only downfalls are if there is no wind and you cant shut it off if geese pass by. They are real cheap like $15 each or so.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby BznBlackDog » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:00 pm

I found my Baby Mojo (regular sized) robo-duk for $60 at Wal-Mart. Have used it on 5 hunts this year off the same charge and it does really good and was the cheapest one I had seen out there. I will probably get one more and an air lucky just to save the motors on those really windy days. Sometimes they close them out for like $40 I am told but have not seen that quite yet this year.
BznBlackDog
hunter

Postby RLWinston » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:43 am

I have the baby mojo as well. fairly reasonable price and it has worked well for me. However i did notice last weekend that when singles were coming in they would flare. i am now wishing that i had a remote for it.
RLWinston
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:11 am

My mojo mallard works great. I like the battery powered ones better as ithe wind doesnt always blow.

I also think I am going to get a remote. If for nothing else just to save battery life.
phutch30
hunter

Postby quackpipe » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:19 am

Last year I went through 4 motorized decoys. Thank God Arkansas outlawed them and I had a steady supply from the boys back at Hatchie Coon hunt club. I had no complaints with the lucky duck, except it seems like it does not take to getting wet as the mojo does. The mojo on the other hand is not made for people who hunt cold weather. The fitting that fits into the metal pole is a hollow plastic insert with drain holes punched into it while the lucky duck has a metal fitting more suited for cold weather. At negative 15 degrees, the mojo froze into the pole. I tried to pull it out and managed to crack the plastic connection piece. I have tried gorilla glue, super glue, and duck tape. Nothing seems to bond this plastic. This year I have been fairly lucky and have not lost any moto dekes, but I did loose a wing to my lucky duck. If anyone wants to get rid of an extra wing let me know. I would buy the lucky duck if i had to choose one. Sportsmans Whorehouse is very good about taking returns on these, but I was told by them that 3 was my limit on returns because I am in there so much. I cant figure out if I am extremely hard on my gear, or if the stuff they sell is garbage, but realistically 40 percent of the stuff I buy there breaks the first year.
quackpipe
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting