Good weekend

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Good weekend

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:36 pm

I hunted Sat and Sun this weekend, both days were great. I tried an area I hadnt hunted this year yet. It was a good hunt. I shot 2 drake mallards,1 drake greenwing and 4 drake widgeon with 6 shots ( 1- 2 for 1). I had 2 other regular doubles. I didnt see many birds though. On Sun I took a friend from Bozeman out. It was a really good hunt. I took 6 drake mallards, a nice drake pintail and 2 geese with 11 shots...if you dont count the 7 shots, honest, 7 %$#@ shots, I had to use to finnish off a bullet proof cripple. Man that was crazy.It wouldnt die. It would roll over flat and dive. Alll the shots were less than 40 yards and the pattern was nailing him. Plus he wasnt banded. He was pretty shot up by the end though. My buddy shot 5 drake mallards, a young drake pintail and a really nice drake widgeon and a goose. Sunday was a major pintail day. I am sure we could have shot at least 10 drake pintails over the decoys. Oh ya lots of mallards also. It was nice to be shooting good again. As some of you have seen ( Mark) my shooting has been really bad this year. It appears that what ever kink I had in my system has been worked out..knock on wood. I just got a case of Estate 2 3/4 #3's so either way I should be good.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Deadpair » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:01 pm

phutch,
Sounds like a great weekend. We also did well on Saturday. Between 3 of us we shot 10 drake mallards, 5 widgeon and 1 ringnecked duck. It was a great hunt. The geese are down in large numbers.... we watched flock after flock head to the fields. Close to 1000 birds. The mallard numbers are also starting to increase. We easily should have limited on drake mallards. Oh well maybe tomorrow.
Deadpair
hunter

Postby pmahler » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:28 pm

I had a pretty good weekend as well. The birds were ALL over & I got one heck of a late start. Ended up sitting down around 11:30 & was done by 2PM. Ended up w/3 nice Greenheads (2 Northerner's) & 4 Wigeon. Had 2 doubles. If anybody has any ideas on where to try hunting south or south-east of Corvalis lemme know.
pmahler
hunter

Postby nelli21 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:13 am

hey I have a question i went out today around the Bozeman area for a short hunt. i ended up with TWO female green wing teal. is that seem weird to anyone else? its pretty late in the season shouldnt they be moving down by now? And does anybody else agree we need a cold weather push maybe its just this area because last weekend we were up north 5 hours and the birds were everywhere. this area jsut seems to not have as much going on right now. Let me know your thoughts, sorry i just had to vent some.

nelli
nelli21
hunter

Postby Leakydecoy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:32 am

Not really. Greenies are always well behind the bluewings and we've bagged them well into December during the past couple of years. Now is the more usual time that you'd expect to see the straggler teal leaving the state compared to the past few warmer falls.
Leakydecoy
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:47 am

Nope greenwings hang around till the end. I saw a drake blue wing on the last day of the season 2 years ago. I just wish the Cinnimins hung around later than Sept.
phutch30
hunter

Postby kdangerfield » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:13 pm

Nelli,

I have also noticed a bit of a lull in the action around the Bozeman area. In the last couple of weeks I've hunted a few places that usually hold quite a few birds but the birds just weren't there. I think a little bit more cold weather will freeze up all of the open water and will help to push down some more northerns, should be some great hunting to come. I have been seeing a lot of snow geese lately though.
Kelly Dangerfield
Wildlife and Landscape Artist
Bozeman, MT
kdangerfield
hunter

pintails

Postby nelli21 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:59 am

has anyone seen a big concentration of Pintails at all. (particularly darkes?) i would like to get a drake mounted this year so let me know what the deal is. THANKS
God Bless
nelli
nelli21
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:55 pm

I have shot 4 decent drakes this year so far. Every one was on a pintail day, meaning I could have shot a dozen each time. Last Fri my buddy and I were into them thick all morning. They are here but they seem to prefer slighty different habitat areas than the other puddlers at least they do where I hunt. Wait till late season,there arn not as many of them around but the ones that are are NICE.

Around Bozeman i always got into them on the fields, either grain or alfalfa, out near three forks. Tough access but good hunting.
phutch30
hunter

Postby nelli21 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:28 pm

thanks i really want a nice drake bad But ill keep my patience. what do you mean different habitat? open water? or rivers more or fileds. I have to Corn fields that we have permission to but we have only seen geese and no ducks. so any more information would help. are you guys shooting them over a normal mallard spread or using pintail decoys also? we have 3 pintail decoys and have only used them once. thanks again.

nelli
nelli21
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:27 am

On water they seen to prefer the marshier shallow water stuff vs open water. We get flybys on open water but if we are back in the grass with wet spots they seem to come right in. Or hit grain (wheat fields).
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting