Todays hunt

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Todays hunt

Postby Hart » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:04 pm

Had another great hunt today. Lots of flight birds on the move. PHutch and I both shot limits of greenheads and I got lucky with a double banded bird. One being a $100 reward band. God Bless and hunt hard, Mark

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=449002&c=500&z=1"]Image[/url]

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=449003&c=500&z=1"]Image[/url]
Hart
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:15 pm

What a trophy!

I shot a banded bird yesterday, my first in a long while. Wish I could hit a 2-for-1 though :eek: Maybe tomorrow :yes:

My day was slow today, only 2 birds between my dad and I. A stark contrast to 2 of 3 days I hunted this week when I limited by 7:20. Oh well, the slow days make the good ones taste better, plus you get a chance to admire the senery. But hey, I still like to wack :thumbsup:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Atrain » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:05 pm

Good lookin birds Hart!

I apologize in advance for anyone that is annoyed by my post, but just wanted to say that I am new to the area (Bozeman in particular) and really enjoy this discussion forum thusfar. It is nice to see some photos and stories of fellow duck hunters. I just moved here from Alaska and am eager to see what MT has to offer for birds. Hope everyone has a nice weekend and hopefully these winds/snowy weather will put some more birds in the air.

Safe hunting!
Atrain
hunter

Postby Hart » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:06 am

Welcome to the forum Atrain. I to am from AK. Sitka to be exact. I'm headed to Kodiak next week for a combo Brown Bear / Sea Duck hunt with my oldest son. He's a commercial fisherman in and still lives in AK. You will find MT to be heaven on earth for those of us that live 8 days a week during waterfowl season. Good luck, Mark
Hart
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:02 pm

Next time I'm parking wherever I see the blue FX4. Anybody ever tell you that you look like Steelers coach Bill Cowher? Nice birds man. I'm out of people to hunt with this week, damn employed friends, don't they know it's hunting season? If anyone needs someone to hunt with for God's sake drop me a PM.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:30 am

Well actually I shot six drake mallards and a drake widgeon, but the rest of the birds pale compared to the double band. About the banded bird, Mark and I each shot a drake out of the flock and his had 2 bands. Guess who eats and sleeps with horseshoes. LOL
phutch30
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:23 pm

He did that to you last year when I was with you. I cant remember who called which bird but it was 2 birds coming in and he dropped the banded one. He has a knack for that I guess.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:58 pm

Jeff-I know. At least this year he didnt steal my spot in the blind and then shoot my bird. :umm: :toofunny: . On this hunt it just worked out that it was his turn to shoot. He picked the right bird out of the 20 in the flock. I shot one after his was falling kind of an after thought thing. Only mine was just a plain ole drake mallard, not one of those fancy pants cross dressing ones that wear jewelry.

Its a fact banded birds are just Karma, and hes just that kind of guy. He already has a banded goose for the year also. I am just going to start shooting his birds. Me, I like to save my banded bird for the end of the season. Last years came with 5 days left and the one 2 years ago came as the seventh drake on the last day of the season making 2 for the year. See if you get one early all you have to look forward to for the rest of the season is getting another one. (Duck hunters logic)
Last edited by phutch30 on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Hart » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:55 pm

I'm home again in Alaska. Man there is no-where in the world like AK. I really miss living here. I'm here to shoot some of those pretty little sea ducks and hopefully watch my oldest boy shoot a big brown hunk of bear on Kodiak. First I have to finish out the work week in Anchorage teaching some classes. I'm headed to my oldest sons house in Kodiak on Thurs. for four days of fun. Then it's home to MT for the rest of Thanksgiving week to shoot as much green as I can find. I'll send some pictures of some double banded Harlies and Old Squaws :yes: . Nice and crisp up here. About 0 on the old thermo. :eek: Glad I brought the long jons and left the dog at home. Thanks for beating me up on the web PHutch & Fun4jake. I won't return the favor as I need to keep my Karma headed in the right direction. Best of luck to all. God Bless and hunt hard, Mark
Hart
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:55 am

YA,YA, Its hard to feel sorry for you Mark. Lets see

1. You already have three bands for the 2007 duck season.
2. Your in Alaska
3. Your hunting Sea Ducks off the coast of Kodiak
4. Your going brown bear hunting on Kodiak
5. YOUR IN ALASKA!!!

:thumbsup:

have fun up there buddy. Oh yea and scout it out good.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting