Found out where my banded mallard is from

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Found out where my banded mallard is from

Postby Troutslayer » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:29 pm

The double banded mallard I shot a few weeks ago near Choteau, MT was banded on 8/6/02 in Peace River, Alberta. Says he was hatched in 2001 or earlier. Biologists probably don't learn all that much since who knows where he's been the last four years but it was cool for me to find out.

Where have your bands come from?
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:43 am

Awesome, how about the reward? Did you find Peace River on the map? Looks like it is about 700 miles North. Wonder if he took the same flyway all the years. Interesting stuff.

A few years back I shot one in Nebraska that was banded in Kramer, ND. Last year I shot one down the Bitterroot that was banded near Cassils, Alberta (300 miles North of Missoula) and it was banded just 3 months prior.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby quackpipe » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:52 pm

check out the satellite tracking that arkansas fish and game does online. you can realtime check the location of about 50 radio collared mallards. a few have been north of us for a while without moving south yet. you can check their migration paths, etc. http://waterfowl.cast.uark.edu/default.asp
quackpipe
hunter

Postby Fredito » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:53 pm

Great.....now thanks to you I have to take my computer into the duckblind once these things get moving....brings a whole different perspective to scouting
Fredito
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting