Anyone want to brave the cold?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Anyone want to brave the cold?

Postby Troutslayer » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:28 pm

Anyone hunting this week? It's supposed to be -20 wind chill tomorrow and I'm wondering where to draw the line. Those classic duck hunting pictures where the hunters look all cold and miserable don't even begin to portray what it's like when it's -20. Despite this I'm up for hunting and since this is the place where insane duck hunters congregate, does anyone want to go?
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:23 am

You know I WANT to go, but gosh dang if I wasn't stuck making a buck or two. :thumbsdown: Maybe we can hook up on the weekend when it has warmed up into the 20's.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby nemont » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:59 am

This kind of weather is the reason I spent all that money on good gear and warm clothes. I will definately be out on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The cold keeps most everyone else indoors.

Nemont
nemont
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:55 pm

What are you hunting when it is below freezing--pot holes are surely frozen over, right? I imagine you're hunting fields? Or is it rivers?

Also, around your area how is the goose hunting (snows, honkers, specks)? And lastly, when does your spring conservation season start for snow geese and how is it? I want to get out of this hell hole state i am in now!!

Thanks Guys!

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:12 pm

I head for the rivers when the temps dip below 0. Thats where im heading this weekend. With the snow we are getting as I write this its a slam dunk.
phutch30
hunter

Postby nemont » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:16 pm

I am heading for a slough that is fed by a warm water spring. The challenge will be picking drakes out of the thousands of birds that want into it.

The honker hunting can be good at times. Snows and specks are not plentiful enough to target specifically but you can get them in to come into honker spreads sometimes. No spring snow goose season in Montana. Gotta head to the Dakota's or Canada to shoot spring snows.

Nemont
nemont
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:30 pm

Cold stop me from hunting?! :eek:

NEVER! Not in a million years!

I hunted geese this morning. Only shot 2. Gonna hit the river on Thurs., field on Friday and see where the birds are for the weekend! Get it while its hot (or cold as the case may be). This in when the real hunting STARTS!
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:43 pm

I braved it today and was rewarded with two pheasant, two geese, and one teal. I coudn't believe how many teal I saw today, and how many I could not hit as they were whipping through the cover. I was in this spot where they would come buzzing 10 feet over my head. They would clear some brush and then we had about two seconds to shoot them before having to spin around as they were fleeing. Freaking tough shooting. There's no sporting clays station that can prepare you for a shot like that.

I got into a spot where the dogs backflushed about 8 pheasant. Ever try to hit a rooster 5 feet away and coming right at you?
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:38 am

How big are these rivers? And, does one need a boat? Thanks guys...I hate my state so bad...I want out soo bad!

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:47 am

Troutslayer- sounds like fun. I cant wait for sat. I havent been for 2 weeks.

The rivers range from spring creeks 5 foot across to the yellowstone,bighorn and Missouri which can be 100 yards. Just depends on where you are.
phutch30
hunter

Postby quackpipe » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:22 pm

We hunted Monday and Tuesday in the storm and shot 70 ducks and 1 goose. Today we went back to the same spot and shot 7 or 8. This front seems to have pushed the birds that were here out. The past two days have been waves of geese that didnt stop all day. Today hardly any geese flew over us. Blastin beaks in my dekes. :salude:
quackpipe
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:27 pm

Story, so there i was hunting thismorning and it was way below zero i was fetching up a duck that my dog didnt see hit because he was getting another one, he is young dont make to much fun of me and i got stuck in some mud falling into the river and walking back to the truck was one of the worst deals i have had to go through my waders let about a gallon of water in and i frost bit my hands luckey i wasnt to har from the truck. i am done typing it hurts have fun the rest of the week
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:59 am

You wont see me laughing...that is down right dangerous!! We've got a post going in our state forum titled, "No Duck worth dying for" So true it is. Glad you're, relatively, okay.

On a side note, how do the dogs handle the cold? I have a year old lab that I will take with me when I head that way. Obviously, I am sure you guys have your dogs wearing vests, but how do their pads hold up?

Thanks!

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby nemont » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:08 am

Last year it was neoprene splitting cold(-10) and I got into the water to pick up a dead duck and sent the dog after a cripple. I went in all the way over my head. My shotgun froze stiff, luckily I always carry a change of clothes and quickly got dried off, even stayed until my partner finished his limit.

My dog loves the cold, he will ice up at times but you can't drag him off the river.

These two will bird dog for me but it has to be relatively warm to let them tag team the ducks.

When it is really cold I let my hunting buddies break the ice and pick up the decoys while I pretend to be busy with the camera.

nemont
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:58 pm

Nemont, way to do it up MT style :getdown:

I was out this morning, it was below zero to start with, but warmed up to about 5-10 an hour later. I was breaking off some shelf ice and tripped and took a nose dive :toofunny: Caught myself before I went swimming, but I soaked my hands and my gun went under. Dang thing froze solid and I was relegated to a single shot because I couldn't pump it without putting all my weight on it. Called it a day about an hour later since the birds weren't cooperating.

Guess I'll try again tomorrow :thumbsup:
wingnutty
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting