Birds on the move

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Birds on the move

Postby Deadpair » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:20 am

Hunted the Bitterroot yesterday. Between 2 of us we shot 4 cans and 10 ducks. Witnessed 1500 to 2000 geese....low moving south in big groups. Not sure if they were headed towards Idaho or out to feed. Not many ducks flying around but they're there if you look. Its time to get out and whack em!
Deadpair
hunter

Postby nemont » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:47 pm

There were birds moving through in HUGE numbers yesterday in Eastern Montana. The big Canadas are moving in and we lost most of our little geese. Saw lots and lots of ducks though.

Nemont
nemont
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 pm

Hunted the Bitterroot yesterday. Between 2 of us we shot 4 cans and 10 ducks.

Nice dude, since the limit on cans is 1 bird/day and 2/possession :pissed: Hope that is a typing mistake on your part. Not trying to be a J/A, but for cripes sake, COME ON :help: Posting on a web forum a flagrent game violation ain't quite rocket science :thumbsdown:

If you made a typing mistake, ect, ignore the above rant please!

I am suprised you killed cans in the root though. Were you on the river, a slough, what? Strange.

Birds are definately thick in most areas and word is that Canada still has a few moving down.
:thumbsup: [/quote]
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:10 pm

I think he was saying canadas ie cans. At least thats the way I read it. It had better not be canvasbacks. I know for a fact that at least one game warden frequents this site. Since I got a pm from him.
phutch30
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:17 pm

Oh yeah, for some reason I never even thought about canadas! I was wondering how he got canvasbacks in the bitterroot :eek:

Like I said in the previous post, if I was in error (which it appears I was), just disregard the post.

I can't wait to get out there tomorrow and through the weekend :getdown:
wingnutty
hunter

Montana Duck Hunting

Postby Force Fetch » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:57 pm

Just found this site a few weeks ago and it is great. I was in Missoula over the T day and geese and swans migrated most of Wed and Thurs night. Sounded like snowies. When I returned to the GF area on Sunday the Canadas were coming through in droves. I am sure some will hold over as they always do, but we are in the deep freeze. The Missouri is pretty well frozen and I think using a boat is out. Our group has two guys out right now spotting for the upcoming weekend. I will post when I have a report. We hunt both ducks and geese in the field when it gets like this.
Go Well Wayne
W. P. Stegmeier
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby quack_attack83 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:11 pm

I was on the bitterroot yesterday as well just driving and jump shooting some spots and rental properties we manage. I jumped geese at four of the five places i stopped and one of the flocks had to have been over a thousand. as far as ducks went all i saw was a bunch of golden eyes and some teal.
quack_attack83
hunter

Canada Geese

Postby Deadpair » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:30 am

4 CANADA GEESE! I know this is an error on my part for using abbreviations but please give me the benefit of the doubt if you miss read a post. I know all of the limits for ducks and geese.... I've hunted in W. Montana all my life (born and raised). I will be sure that I don't abbreviate anything in the future to avoid this problem. We shot 4 CANADA Geese and 10 Ducks (all drake mallards) between 2 of us. The geese and ducks were all shot over an open pond on public property.
[/b]
Deadpair
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting