Motorized decoys-opening weekend?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Motorized decoys-opening weekend?

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:51 pm

I'm going to hunt zone 3 with some buddies opening weekend, and can't find anything in the regulations that prohibit the use of motorized decoys. Can anyone confirm this for me please?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Re: Motorized decoys-opening weekend?

Postby 2point » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:35 am

I hate to give any advice without the regs in front of me, but if they are like all the years past you are okay. Have a good opener.
2point
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:28 am

Zone 3????? like in the "time zone 3"? Or is the state now broke up into different hunting zones? Darn I better read my regs
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:31 pm

Thaks 2point, I have read over it several times and the only prohibitions I see are: Live decoys and baiting. Can't wait. My buddys have the blinds ready to rock and we are hunting in a party of 5. Should be a great opener with all the birds. Hopefully it cool back down some. Phutch, I believe there are 4 zones but there might be more. Better ready the regs, you can't hunt shoot geese anywhere near Missoula so becareful if those are your wherabouts, and there in no more late goose season either.
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Big Sky » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Motorized decoys are permitted. Pretty sure that "Zone 3" is just referring to the sunrise/sunset table, the only difference in hunting "zones" that we have in MT is the line between the Central and Pacific Flyways.

I'm gonna miss the opener as well. My wife is a mentor for a girl at MT Youth Challenge in Dillon and has training there all day next Saturday which means I will have our boy all day. In a couple of years he'll be old enough to go, can't wait for that!

Happy hunting and good luck!
Big Sky
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:00 pm

Billings eh? Dang your close. I will re-post some pics of opening day on here, and show ya how we did. Hopefully its not a fistful of coots :lol3:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:28 am

Clark Canyon should be good ? I kind of like that place , with friends we had feathers all over the ground !
3200 man
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:39 am

3200 man wrote:Clark Canyon should be good ? I kind of like that place , with friends we had feathers all over the ground !

Clark should be good. I haven't hunted it but have heard a lot of divers make it to that lake, including eiders. I will be somewhat close to that place, but no quite :thumbsup: Two days to do it, and Imma make it count!
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Oh yea prob the top eider spot in MT! fantastic diver hunting you shoot limits of divers, especially canvasbacks, most every trip. We see a ton of Harlis there also.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:57 pm

phutch30 wrote:Oh yea prob the top eider spot in MT! fantastic diver hunting you shoot limits of divers, especially canvasbacks, most every trip. We see a ton of Harlis there also.

Harlis? Man, wish I had the time now lol
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby lundin-loading » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:02 pm

cough sarcasm cough
lundin-loading
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:14 pm

lundin-loading wrote:cough sarcasm cough

LOL :lol3:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:02 pm

phutch30 wrote:Zone 3????? like in the "time zone 3"? Or is the state now broke up into different hunting zones? Darn I better read my regs

Dude, you need to get with it, you got a cali-bra telling you the rules now! :lol3:
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:45 pm

Bulldog0156 wrote:
phutch30 wrote:Zone 3????? like in the "time zone 3"? Or is the state now broke up into different hunting zones? Darn I better read my regs

Dude, you need to get with it, you got a cali-bra telling you the rules now! :lol3:

Hahah Calibrah? :boxing:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:07 am

wanapasaki wrote:Thaks 2point, I have read over it several times and the only prohibitions I see are: Live decoys and baiting. Can't wait. My buddys have the blinds ready to rock and we are hunting in a party of 5. Should be a great opener with all the birds. Hopefully it cool back down some. Phutch, I believe there are 4 zones but there might be more. Better ready the regs, you can't hunt shoot geese anywhere near Missoula so becareful if those are your wherabouts, and there in no more late goose season either.

Yep no goose hunting within 100 miles of Missoula please! Not enough geese around, plus that leaves more for me :), Just giving you a hard time. There is only a small area of no hunting for geese east of Town
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:27 am

Well bulldog excusse me! I dont reads so well so never bother reading regs. I depend on Pete and PTroofer to tell me whats legal
phutch30
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:41 am

Just thinking of the goodtimes at the Buffalo when Mike and Marty where there . They could put me on Birds the first
day and I could take it from there ,Sweet . Up the pass was good to , knowing of a few ranchers in the area to turn me
onto some killer spots . You know how it is , seeing is believing or having friends to help .

One year not long ago , I enjoyed , 2000 Mallard in one field and feathers on the ground , yes , the dog was tired !
3200 man
hunter

Postby pmahler » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:08 am

i like commas
pmahler
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:55 am

:thumbsup: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,how's that :yes:
3200 man
hunter