Goose bands

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Goose bands

Postby K-Town » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:28 pm

On the subject of bands, how many of you have gotten goose bands, and where were they from? reason I ask is becasue over the 7 years that I have been goose hunting, we (family, friends, and huntin buddys) have taken hundreds of honkers and have wound up with ZERO bands. I personaly dont know anybody in the Kalispell area that has shot a banded honker here. Is it just bad luck, or is it because they dont band many big honkers in Alberta.

I know guys in eastern MT get honker bands, what about the west side, do ou guys get any. Please post up because I am very intersted to find out.

Thanks,
Taylor
K-Town
hunter

Postby Deadpair » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:25 pm

In all my years of hunting honkers in W. Montana I've only had one buddy shoot a goose with a band. I think I was 15 years old or so. Haven't seen another one since. I think it was from Eastern Alberta.
Deadpair
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:46 pm

I've never shot a banded goose, but during the snow goose conservation season in Nebraska a few years back my brother shot a snow goose banded in Nunavut - right near the Arctic Ocean.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby wingnutty » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:54 pm

I've never seen a banded honker in Montana either. Wish we had more of um, and how about a few neck collars!!! I saw them quite often when I was living in Wisconsin for the past couple years.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Fredito » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:42 pm

On the nature trail here in town, there are a couple of geese that have bands on them
Fredito
hunter

goose bands

Postby fowllaga » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:41 pm

I have a friend who has shaot a few in the flathead over many years of hunting. not sure were from
fowllaga
hunter

goose bands

Postby Force Fetch » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am

We usually get a few goose bands every year in the GF area. In 99 a friend that was leaving the area and having never gotten a band killed a double on his last hunt and they both were banded, talk about luck. Both of those birds were banded in norhern Alberta. I have bands from Alberta, Montana,BC, all taken in the Golden Triangle. My wife has a band from a 12 year old Gadwall Drake banded near Peace River,Alberta.
By the way, we had two great hunts over the past weekend,two adults and three first and second season youngsters,limits in under four hours.
W. P. Stegmeier
Force Fetch
hunter

re

Postby Get'em » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:17 pm

well i have had pretty good luck with bands up here in the gallatin valley this year i have shot six geese with bands and one neck collar and i already have 14 duck bands from this year i guess its just the luck of the flocks
Get'em
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:54 pm

well i have had pretty good luck with bands up here in the gallatin valley this year i have shot six geese with bands and one neck collar and i already have 14 duck bands from this year i guess its just the luck of the flocks[/quote]

LUCK? LUCK? 20 bands in ONE year is not just LUCK, it is like winning the lottery :eek:

Do you mind me asking how many birds you've shot this year to get all those bands? Must be a great many, otherwise you have some amazing eyesight and are a heck of a good shot :toofunny:

I've shot 75 ducks and 22 geese so far this year and I've only taken one band. In fact, I've seen 75+ geese and 250+ ducks on the ground and the only band I've seen has been mine!

Where are all those birds from? Are any of them locally banded?
wingnutty
hunter

re

Postby Get'em » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:53 pm

well i geuss you can say it is like winning the lottery but i think its more of the spot i hunt i have shot probablly 200 ducks and about 75 geese i have had one bird banded from montana but it was at fort peck but most of them are from canada
Get'em
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting