Honkers

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Honkers

Postby K-Town » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:19 pm

Me and two friends managed a limit of honkers today in a alfalfa field. These late season geese are tough to decoy!
K-Town
hunter

Postby Hart » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:25 pm

Nice Taylor. You guys look a little cold.
Hart
hunter

Postby K-Town » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:10 pm

Sundays hunt, same results in a different location. We were in covered in fog, and visibility was about 75 yards. At 11:00 we had not seen or heard a goose, we were coled and bored so we called it a day, and all 3 of us headed for the truck. BAD DECISION! We were 200 yards from the decoys when we heard geese coming, 1 flock buzzed the decoys as we made a mad dash to the spread, while a big flock was fast approaching. Out of breath we hoped into our blinds as a flock of 60 appeared out of the fog and desended over our spread, all of us doubled up, and the rest was history from then on.
Most migrators have left, so were shooting moslty locals and a few northerns. Duck numbers are at a depressingly low number, some of the lowest that I have ever seen. Christmas break might find us doing some traveling to find some green.
K-Town
hunter

Postby nemont » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:38 pm

I agree on the duck numbers. Appears they have decided to leave for warmer climates.

I hunted pheasants on Friday and did well, Ducks on Saturday and stared at empty skies.

Geese on Sunday and had good success in a lentil field

Nemont
nemont
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting