fowl lice

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

fowl lice

Postby fowllaga » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:21 pm

anyone hear of fowl lice? my friends golden got it and he said it was insane to get rid off.

also, how often do you shoot birds with rice breast? i guess you can still eat em but i always trash'm. anyone ever eat one?
fowllaga
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:21 pm

We shot a few ducks with sarcocystis (rice breast) in Nebraska and we never thought much of it. Just cut that stuff off and made jerky out of it. To me it seems ridiculous to waste an entire breast that isn't harmful to humans.

Here's some info about Rice Breast

As far as lice go, I have shot a lot of ducks with lice, but don't think that they would infect a dog unless the dog had them for a good while. Lice that are found on waterfowl can not jump and usually won't stay in animals with hair - the feathers are a better protecting agent for them.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

fowl lice

Postby fowllaga » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:49 pm

Yeh, don't like to waste a bird but there are usually hundreds of rice size cysts so really can't remove them all.
cut this stuff out? http://www.ducks.org/blogs/1/46/index.html

The thought of consuming that stuff seams a little nasty. I realize there are no KNOWN hazards to humans but just wanted and opinion.

As for the lice thing, my buddy thinks it came from a pheasent wing he used to train his dog with. I never heard of it before. Just a heads up.
fowllaga
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:23 am

:eek: Ok, that's a lot more than I have seen on the ducks we shot. Maybe 2 or 3 dozen spots on them, not the entire thing. I can understand your concern with that!
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby Fredito » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:01 pm

I have had ducks with lice....it a little gross when you are breasting the duck and you see them crawling on the breasts...I guess its not a hazard to humans but I dont know about dogs...all I know is when I see it I feel like I am itching for the rest of the day...and...that rice breast picture is nasty stuff...dont want to see that anytime soon
Fredito
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting