hey montana, question for you

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

hey montana, question for you

Postby ducksbuck » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:44 pm

I am thinking a bit about coming out Dec 27- Jan 2. Is there much duck hunting around Biliings in late Dec? How easy is it to find land to hunt? Are birds in fields? Can I buy a license over the counter? How much for non-res?

Any info would be great. I may not do it, but I am layed off work right now and could make it happen. I have relatives in Billings.

Thanks,
Buck

Our passions will take us much farther than our occupations.
ducksbuck
hunter

Postby bullelkklr » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:11 pm

The non-res license is pretty expensive unless you really really like duck/goose hunting. It is over 100$.

There is a tiny bit of access between billings and forsyth, but you need to reserve the spots. If the jellystone is froze - won't be many birds around. Some of the ranchers/farmers will let you on for the asking - but not very many.

Good luck -
bullelkklr
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:52 am

The license will run you about 75 all told. There is block management land in the area and some landowners will let you on. That area is more of a goose hunt then a duck hunt. Also once you get to the Bighorn/yellowstone confluence you cant hunt within 100 feet of the river bank.

Your best bet would be to hunt the bighorn river. If you can get access at a bridge or fishing access site you can hunt between the high water marks. Just make sure all birds fall in this zone otherwise you are tresspassing if you retrieve them and committing wanton waste if you dont. Best to make sure they hit water.
phutch30
hunter

Postby ducksbuck » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:02 am

Does the bighorn hold many ducks? Decoys? or Pass shooting?
Buck

Our passions will take us much farther than our occupations.
ducksbuck
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:25 pm

The bighorn is usually a mallard meca this time of year. I alway set out some deks. You may be able to get some pass shooting in but youll do better if you put out a few a doz or less decoys.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting