Opening Day....Lets see some pics and tell stories

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Opening Day....Lets see some pics and tell stories

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:42 pm

This was my first duck hunt west of the Mississippi and it didn't let me down. I just wish it didn't end so quick. Hunted the Flathead and we were limited out with 28 ducks in 20 minutes. 7:31-7:51 was the ticket. The resources for public land and the number of birds is astounding to me. You guys should feel lucky to hunt this State.

The only thing that was a negative this morning was the shooting well before legal up on the reservation. Is it usually for such early shooting up there? Guns were going off at 6:55 and LST was not til 7:31. They were even too early if they were ignorant to the regulation of sunrise up there and not 30 min before like most of the state.
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Re: Opening Day....Lets see some pics and tell stories

Postby 2point » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:03 pm

One honker short of a limit, got a limit of ducks 3 blue wings (don't ask how many shots) 2 gadwalls 2 shots :biggrin: , 2 mallards 2 shots :biggrin: and a tired dog. Great morning, time for a nap and a cold beer
Last edited by 2point on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2point
hunter

Postby pmahler » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Welcome to Rez hunting...mixed bag I presume? Mallies, pennies, teal, Gaddies & Baldpates?
pmahler
hunter

Postby montana bound » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:49 pm

I'll wait 2-3 more weeks, I hate shooting brown ducks, it's like shooting a trophy class deer before the horns are done growing.
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:31 pm

fultz_danNWPA wrote:The only thing that was a negative this morning was the shooting well before legal up on the reservation. Is it usually for such early shooting up there? Guns were going off at 6:55 and LST was not til 7:31. They were even too early if they were ignorant to the regulation of sunrise up there and not 30 min before like most of the state.

Yes, these idiots are putting us all at risk with their ignorance and stupidity. The tribe allows us to hunt the reservation (unlike many other tribes) and idiots like this don't do us any favors. Turn these folks in when you see them, there is no excuse for their stupidity.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Deadpair » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:43 pm

For the first time ever...since I can remember(born and raised here) the Flathead Indian Reservation has changed legal shooting light to 1/2 hr before sunrise, just like the rest of the state. Sunrise today 7:31 so legal shooting light was 7:01. We didn't start taking birds until about 7:15. We couldn't make out the girls from the boys until then. Mixed bag, mallards, woodies and teal. Had a great hunt though.
Deadpair
hunter

Postby GeeGriz » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Saw a bunch of high flyers and about 300+ geese but I don't believe geese can be taken around Missoula county. Also had a flock of gadwalls try and set up in our spread- we got a couple out of that. Also, I believe we witnessed some butt take a **** golden or immature baldy out... 95% sure but didn't call the GW because of the off chance that we were wrong but that pretty much ruined my morning.
Attachments
1378063_10202168675524134_1047933624_n.jpg
1378063_10202168675524134_1047933624_n.jpg (41.14 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
GeeGriz
hunter

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Slow here in upper Clark fork. Not much flying. Mallards and teal
Some local low flying geese but they know where it is safe
Howling south wind isn't helping any new birds get here
Still good to be out. Spent most of day looking for friends pointer that vanished. See other post
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Postby shawdawg02 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Deadpair wrote:For the first time ever...since I can remember(born and raised here) the Flathead Indian Reservation has changed legal shooting light to 1/2 hr before sunrise, just like the rest of the state. Sunrise today 7:31 so legal shooting light was 7:01. We didn't start taking birds until about 7:15. We couldn't make out the girls from the boys until then. Mixed bag, mallards, woodies and teal. Had a great hunt though.

Where are you getting this information. The regs still state that legal shooting hours on the flathead reservation is sunrise????
shawdawg02
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:57 pm

wingnutty
hunter

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Wow. That's is awesome. I'm glad everyone was not in violation and I was the ignorant one. Why have they not put these set of regs at liscensing places? At sportsman they must have the old regs
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Saw a guy on the next pond over nuke a cormorant at about 90 yds. Lawn darted it. Shot a pile of brown ducks- teal, widgeon, mallards, spoonie.... Dog charged hard and revealed a few training flaws but overall really pleased with her abilities for 1st day of her 2nd season.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby 2point » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Wow. That's is awesome. I'm glad everyone was not in violation and I was the ignorant one. Why have they not put these set of regs at liscensing places? At sportsman they must have the old regs[/quote]

Because it is the rez, I have never been impressed. Last time I hunted there was late 70s and they had some stupid rule that you could only shoot ducks on the east side of highway 93 and only geese was open on the west side of 93. I shot ducks on the east side on post creek and a tribal warden tried to ticket me because he never knew east and west. :no: Finally convinced him the sun comes up in the east over the Mission mountains and I was on the same side of the highway as the Missions were. Not kidding. So if they have out last years regs, I am not surprised.
2point
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting