anyone gonna brave the warm?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Postby fowllaga » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:40 pm

Anyone hunting?
fowllaga
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:04 pm

I went out this afternoon to train my dogs and see what was flying. When I got to my spot (an open spring fed pond) there were only a few birds in it. I waited until long after shooting hours and saw one small flock of mallards who weren't interested in coming in. I looked at some other open water in the afternoon and there were not many birds roosting. I think the hunting is going to suck until it gets cold. If anyone is interested in going out this week I'm open to ideas. I'm leaving to visit family for the holidays and do some striper fly-fishing and I won't be back until after the season ends, hope to have at least one good day before I leave. I'd love to cruise over the Big Hole or Great Falls or somewhere, if anyone wants to meet up where there are more birds. Not looking to poach any of your spots just don't have many unemployed friends who are as excited about killing ducks.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby fowllaga » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:23 pm

i haven't been out for about a week. sounds pretty schwag.
fowllaga
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:25 pm

I'm gonna work on being unemployed next winter, but can't promise anything yet.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby fowllaga » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:25 pm

Don't have to try real hard to be unemployed in MT.
fowllaga
hunter

Postby madmike » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:47 am

TS have you ever hunted the swan lake refuge about 1 hour north of seeley. was up there last weekend. lots of open water. not sure of bird though.have to have a boat. if you need a partner this weekend let me know.
madmike
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:20 am

If you are headed to the GF area, the big bays on the Missouri opend up last night, but all the small stock ponds are still frozen, so bring a boat. The river should be hot from Craig to Cascade. We are holding alot of birds, both ducks and geese. With the big ice flows breaking up, it might be wise to use only a WELL trained retriever that will handle, there have been three young dogs lost to the ice over the past few years.
Head Down Keep Swinging Wayne
W. P. Stegmeier
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby fowllaga » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:16 pm

The Mo sounds fun but too far for now.

Never hunted the swan area. It looks great in the summer. Tons of birds. I will be up that way around new years so I might take a look.

I kinda forget to check that place out every year. I have a boat but its not ready to hunt. I need a kit.
fowllaga
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:48 pm

I need a kit.

A kit blind?

I have a great home made one that I'll practically give you if you want it. It's made to fit a 13-15' skiff.

I have such a boat but I find that I only use it for fishing Georgetown a few times a year. Actually if anybody is in the market for a boat the whole package is up for grabs as well-new tires, camo boat, blind, and other accessories. I rebuilt the transom using solid oak and marine grade plywood so it's pretty bombproof. It's nothing fancy but doesn't leak a drop and is carpeted. It's 14'9" long. I could be convinced to throw in a trolling motor and a 15horse.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby fowllaga » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:28 pm

how much with/wiithout motors?
fowllaga
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting