where did they go???

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

where did they go???

Postby Force Fetch » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:58 am

Boy, did I have it wrong. We have been having good success hunting in the GF area with all the cold weather, holding lots of ducks and geese. Usually when we get a break in the weather this time of the year the hunting gets better and better as the really big flights show up after Dec. 10th. I will bet from this past Monday to today we have lost fifty percent of our birds.My crew has been spotting and hunting from Carter 40mi N. of GF to Cascade 20mi S. . I sure hope things change as I have cleared next week for some Duck hunting and a little goose. This is not a case of disbursment, these birds are gone. Anyone south of here seeing lots of new birds? Head Down Keep Swinging Wayne
W. P. Stegmeier
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby nemont » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:06 pm

We have lost most of our birds also. Believe it or not the reports are that some have actually moved back north as water has opened up again up there. Who knows. When it was -10 degrees we had good hunts. When it was 35 above we stared at empty skies.
Thank God for Pheasants.
Nemont
nemont
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:54 pm

nemont: If they have moved back north it must be all the way into Canada. I have a few contacts up on Tiber and they are telling me there are no birds of any # on or around the lake. Unless things change in a hurry, my week long hunt next week will be a week of work, and not in the field or blind. I hate it when that happens.
Go Well
Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:35 pm

Yeah, I gotta say, even though I'm south of you guys I've experienced the same thing! I think most of mine went down the snake river further,but man, we are kinda empty around here right now. Lots of geese though!
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:46 am

We have a few birds around but nothing like we normally do. Maybe I am in for a surprise tomorrow. I sure hope so. We have been having a really hit or miss season so far. Normally we are pounding them from mid Nov on but not this year. Some days are great some are not. A couple of weeks ago we had upwards of 5-6000 ducks hitting the grain fields around town. There gone now. I dont know if they went north, south east or west but they aint here anymore.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting